Howto: LightZone DP15 pendant lamp

Hey guys,

just wanna share a quick howto on how to convert the awsome looking LightZone DP15 (regular price @Aldi in Germany 65 bucks, reduced price was 25 bucks).

Picture of installation:

Picture of label:

Official Vendor shop entry:

Link

Vendor pictures:

Description:

There’s a 230V to 20VDC power supply in the top portion. The two wires running down carry the 20VDC down to the lamp itself.

Normal operation is a button on the lamp itself which can be used to command it to turn on/off or with a double click to switch between 2700K, a 50:50 mix and 6500K.

Pressing this button for longer periods will dim the lamp.

Conversion:

You’ll need:

Step by step

The idea is to have all three additional PCBs requried on top of the regular housing, just glued down with black silicone. So all wires will go through the hole where the button is (no drilling required). If not stated otherwise, assume that you need to fish the wires through the button-hole.

1. Remove the screen by unscrewing the two screws on top of the light
  2. Open the casing
  3. Remove the “button” and discard it
  4. Get the GND and LED+ spots connected and run the power out of the casing through the hole where the button was. Connect them to the buck converter.

1. Use the nice to remove the lower two contacts of the right IC (the one without a label) next to R4:

1. Wire two pins of the 5V side of the level converter to the PCB traces.
  2. Wire the HV port of the level converter to this position on the board (5V reference):

1. Wire the LV port of the level converter to the 3.3V output of the 8266

2. Wire the power supply (buck converter) to the 5V port of the 8266

3. Wire the Lower signal connection from the PCB (from step 5) after the level conversion to port D5 on the ESP8266

4. Wire the Upper signal connection from the PCB (from step 5) after the level conversion to port D2 of the ESP8266.

5. Connect all the grounds of the PCBs on the buck converter board.

6. Now close the lamp again and glue down the three additional pcbs on top of the lamp with the silicone.

Config for EPSHome:

Go through the step by step guide to configure the Wemos D1 mini board with a empty config. Then add the following:

substitutions:
  friendly_name: "Kitchen Pendant Light"

output:
  - platform: esp8266_pwm
    zero_means_zero: true
    min_power: 0.005
    pin: D2
    frequency: 100 Hz
    id: pwm_output_warm_white
  - platform: esp8266_pwm
    zero_means_zero: true
    min_power: 0.005
    pin: D5
    frequency: 100 Hz
    id: pwm_output_cold_white

light:
  - platform: cwww
    name: $friendly_name
    cold_white: pwm_output_cold_white
    warm_white: pwm_output_warm_white
    cold_white_color_temperature: 6500 K
    warm_white_color_temperature: 2700 K
    constant_brightness: true

The power consumption got profiled and added to the custom component powercalc. It’s included in the version 1.0.3.

To use it you have to specify the vendor and model manually in your configuration.yaml:

sensor:
  - platform: powercalc
    entity_id: light.kitchen_pendant_light
    manufacturer: MeLiTec
    model: DP15

Hope you found this interesting, happy hacking.

3 Likes

I previously used 2000 Hz as frequency on the esp8266_pwm platform, but noticed some flickering on very low output of one LED strip (so very close to cold or warm maximum in color temperature).

I’ve changed the frequency to 100 Hz, and it’s gone.

I like to mention, that this is just trial and error – I have no idea what the ideal frequency is or if I’m now creating other problems. So if someone knows more about the unlabeled chip or the esp8266_pwm platform, let me know! :slight_smile: