Hue motion sensors + remotes: custom component

you are right.

How to do an automation that understands a double/triple/quadruple click? Is it possible?

Not sure what I’m doing here but I can’t even get off the starting blocks! (Newbie).

Am I supposed to be able to install this into Hassio automatically?

I Have tried adding the git link https://github.com/robmarkcole/Hue-sensors-HASS but nothing appears to allow an install.
This is my log:
18-02-15 17:39:47 ERROR (MainThread) [hassio.addons] Can’t load from repository https://github.com/robmarkcole/
18-02-15 17:39:47 INFO (MainThread) [hassio.addons] Load addons: 19 all - 0 new - 0 remove
18-02-15 17:39:55 INFO (MainThread) [hassio.addons.git] Clone addon https://github.com/robmarkcole/Hue-sensors-HASS repository
18-02-15 17:39:57 WARNING (MainThread) [hassio.addons.data] Can’t read repository information from /data/addons/git/7c7e82cf/repository.json
18-02-15 17:39:57 INFO (MainThread) [hassio.addons] Load addons: 19 all - 0 new - 0 remove
18-02-15 17:43:13 WARNING (MainThread) [hassio.addons.data] Can’t read repository information from /data/addons/git/7c7e82cf/repository.json
18-02-15 17:43:13 INFO (MainThread) [hassio.addons] Load addons: 19 all - 0 new - 0 remove

Hi @Martin_Granger you need to setup the Samba share addon then place the folder custom_components in your config directory.
Cheers

@robmarkcole thank you for this add on, much faster and easier than set up using the rest sensor! But I have as many more lots of error messages “updating hue sensor took longer…” Has anyone had success with longer update intervals? how long can it be and still work fine with the remote switch dimmer?

And one more thing: I want to use something that tells me if the hue sensor is not updating for some hours, and use that to tell me something wrong with the sensor. Just used the last updated when I used rest sensor, but that does bot seem to work with this add-on. Is there a way of achieving this? Meaby some way to trigger if temperature or lux is changing?

okay - thanks for that. I already have samba installed and work on the files this way, just didn’t know if there was some sort of auto install thing going on.

I’ve now got it installed, so I’m sure I’ll have plenty of questions soon!

Many thanks for your hard work on this :slight_smile:

1 Like

I do seem to be having a bit of an oddity (probably not for this thread, but hey-ho)

I am setting up an automation with the motion sensor, but it only seems to be triggering one entity (the first in the list). I have tried swapping the entities around, and whichever is first works. Any ideas?

My automation code:

- id: '7'
  alias: Hall motion on
  trigger:
    - platform: state
      entity_id: sensor.hall_motion_sensor
      to: 'on'
  action:
  - service: notify.pushbullet
    data:
      target: 'device/Google Pixel 2'
  - service: light.turn_on
    entity_id:
      - light.hall_downstairs_ceiling_light
      - light.hall_downstairs_big_lamp

- id: '8'
  alias: Hall motion Off
  trigger:
      to: 'off'
      for:
        minutes: 5
  action:
    data:
  - service: light.turn_off
    entity_id:
      - light.hall_downstairs_ceiling_light
      - light.hall_downstairs_big_lamp

First of all thank you for creating that fantastic component - extremely helpful.

I have realised two strange behaviours with template sensors on the attributes “battery” and “last updated” (hue dimmer switch):

1. the template sensor for the “battery” attribute, does not show any value in home assistant
  2. the template sensor for the “last updated” attribute gets updated from time to time, even tough I don’t press any button on the dimmer switch. The “last updated” attribute of the sensor (hue dimmer switch) does however report the correct date and time and does not get updated when i don’t press any button.

Is this a known issue?

Thanks. For your points.

1. I’m pretty sure mine does display the battery level correctly, can you check what’s returned by the Hue API in your case?
  2. Sounds like an error in the template, what debugging have you tried?

Cheers

1. and 2.: The sensor which appear in HASS because of your custom component work perfect. Only when templating, the strange behaviour occurs.

Maybe there is something wrong with my configuration (sensor.living_room is the sensor which automatically appears from your component and corresponds to a hue dimmer switch)?

- platform: template
    sensors:
      hue_switch_living_room_battery:
        friendly_name: 'Hue Switch Living Room Battery'
        value_template: '{{ states.sensor.living_room.battery }}'
        unit_of_measurement: '%'

- platform: template
    sensors:
      hue_switch_living_last_updated: 
        value_template: '{{ states.sensor.living_room.last_updated }}'

You are missing attributes. Should be something like states.sensor_name.attributes.last_updated

1 Like

Oh sh**, sorry. I was looking over it and over it again but yes, this was the solution. thanks very much again

1 Like

HI Robin,

Any thoughts on where to look for the Phone not showing it’s icon?. mdi:cellphone should be available…

Not sure which of the phone instances the components reads, but there’s several of them and i already have set icons and images in know_devices to show their instance ( iCloud, wifi, bluetooth etc) .

might that be it?
I believed this to be the sensor created by the custom component, and i have nothing set for that.
Cheers,
Marius

Hi Maurius, that looks correct, I just used the customisation tool to change the icon.
Cheers

o really?? i was under the impression the icon was set in your custom component?? as with RWL and SML.

last 2 lines:

elif self._model == 'Geofence':
    self._icon = 'mdi:cellphone'

Hmm can you check what is displayed in the entity tool?

no icon set…

Just in case it helps others: I had to add a delay between each device switching on. As it is lightwaverf gear, I think it may have been getting confused with more than one thing firing at the same time.

New code:

- id: '7'
  alias: Hall motion on
  trigger:
      to: 'on'
  condition:
  - condition: sun
    after: sunrise
  - condition: sun
    before: sunset
  - condition: state
    entity_id: group.family
    state: home
  action:
    entity_id: light.hall_downstairs_ceiling_light
  - delay: '00:00:01'
    entity_id: light.hall_downstairs_big_lamp

- id: '8'
  alias: Hall motion Off
  trigger:
      to: 'off'
      for:
        minutes: 20
  condition:
  - condition: state
    entity_id: group.family
    state: home
  action:
    data:
    entity_id: light.hall_downstairs_ceiling_light
  - delay: '00:00:01'
    entity_id: light.hall_downstairs_big_lamp

HI Rob,

Had a chance to look at this?

another question: I just discovered that in /deps/lib/python3.6/sitepackages, there’s this folder:

containing an older file hue_sensors.py. Is this still necessary or can i safely delete the hue_sensors…egg-info and hue_sensors.py?

Thanks,
Marius

HI @Mariusthvdb haven’t looked at Hue as busy with other projects.
I think you can safely delete those files.
Cheers

Pardon me please if this has been answered elsewhere already, but is it possible to mimic the hue switches in Hassio?

Create the dimmer switch and tap switch buttons/actions (single ,double or hold) to enable the actions associated to them in the App?

Would be very nice indeed .