Hue motions sensor not triggering after turning on and off hue light via Home Assistant

Has anyone else experience of the Philips Hue motion sensor not working directly after the bulb controlled by the motion sensor is turned on/off via Home Assistant?

I usually don’t use the HA for this light (since it is controlled via the motion sensor) but when i was building a custom panel it just something I noticed.

It’s most likely a feature of the light. i.e. they assume motion == turn on light and if light is on, what’s the point of motion detection.

I doubt phillips hue has ways to use that motion event to trigger something else built into their own system. Though I could be wrong.

Oh, i mean when i turn on and then off the light in HA, after that the motion sensor doesn’t work far a time (not sure how long, need to keep testing that).
(i’ve updated the title of the post)

Tested the Hue app, and it works ok there. (turn it on, then off) and the motion sensor works directly after.

My hue motion sensors have a delay of 14 seconds between triggered and clear before it will re-trigger again. There is usually some delay with all motion sensors before being able to re-trigger but turning the light off with HA doesn’t cause it to not work. I am using deconz though and not the hue hub.

1 Like

Just had another thought. When you are controlling this light via the motion sensor are you reading in the lux level to turn the light on?
If so you would need to add a delay of about 250ms between motion detected and reading the lux level as it doesn’t change the lux level until a fraction of a second after the motion is triggered. If you don’t put in a delay it reads the previous lux level of when the light was on.
If this is the case your automation logic should be
Motion triggered - delay 250ms- read lux level - turn light on.

1 Like