Hue Outdoor Motion Sensor stalling/hanging

Hello, I have a the Hue Outdoor motion sensor running through ZHA. It will work awhile and then it will hang/stall like in the image below:

Screenshot 2022-05-29 12.40.45 PM

The only way to deal with this is to physically reset it and then it will work for a bit and then repeat.

To date I have:

• replaced the batteries
  • factory reset the device
  • bought a new device (this is what I’m using now)
  • ensured HA is up to date and restarted

I feel like I’m missing something to stop the hanging. Please advise so that I can provide accurate info to help correct.

Thanks much.

Same issue here? Sudden cease of lux reporting from Hue Outdoor Motion Sensor

Yep, apologies for not doing a complete search first.

Before starting troubleshooting deeper by looking at logs suggest to first begin by optimizing your setup.

1. Upgrade Zigbee Coordinator firmware if possible and a newer known good firmware is available
  2. Be sure to use a long USB extension cable for the Zigbee Coordinator to move it a bit away.
  3. Be sure Zigbee Coordinator is on a USB 2.0 port and not a USB 3.0 port. Buy and use a powered USB 2.0 hub (which will convert from USB 3.0) if you computer does not have a USB 2.0 port.

And so on, see tips links bellow.

Regardless of the actual root cause, always aim to keep the firmware of the Zigbee Coordinator updated, add more products acting as Zigbee Routers devices and implement workarounds for interference, see:

https://github.com/home-assistant/home-assistant.io/pull/18864

and

https://www.home-assistant.io/integrations/zha#best-practices-to-avoid-pairingconnection-difficulties

Understand and remember that Zigbee signals are weak so rely on a strong Zigbee network mesh (meaning many Zigbee Router devices) and are very sensitive to RMF/EMI/RMI interference so it makes it much easier to troubleshoot and find the real root cause if have already optimized your setup and environment to work around that.

Thank you for this. I have been diligent on getting the mesh and the overall system set up as correctly as I am able with my skill set. This is a good reminder for me to do my due diligence with everything.

Anything new to update on this? I just migrated from OpenHAB, using the same hardware (just changed out the SD card in the Raspberry Pi), that had reliable temperature readings throughout the day. After changing to Home Assistant, the temperature readings don’t change, unless I wake the device with the button on the back.

Following up to help others, if they stumble on this.
I was able to restore full functionality of the sensor by abandoning the Zigbee integration, switching to Zigbee2MQTT, and setting up the Mosquitto broker. It’s extra work and I had to re-pair all of my devices (very tedious) but Z2M provides a lot of extra functionality and there doesn’t appear to be much added latency added by the extra overhead.