Hyperion USB Capture switch

Was looking at trying to add this feature myself, but I’m still in the very early stages of learning how to develop ANYTHING for Home Assistant. Also, I know just enough to possibly get it to work, but I’d probably clobber anyone who DOESN’T use a USB capture device, which is why I’m throwing this out as a feature request in the first place.

Basically, my Hyperion setup uses a USB capture device to capture the HDMI signal as well as split it off to the TV. The problem comes in after a day or two when I guess it just has captured as much as it can/will and the capture stops. I’m still able to see the USB device and it took me some time to realize that if I toggle the USB capture switch on the remote, it will start working again. I’d like the Hyperion integration to be able to toggle not only the LED device, but also the USB capture. It should be as simple as adding another switch so that in an automation I can toggle it on and off with the LEDs. I did see where the async_send_set_component is called setting the state of LEDDEVICE, I’m just not sure if V4L should be added to that existing code, or if it should be separate. Or if it would be best to add something to the configuration specifying that a USB capture device is being used so that LEDDEVICE and V4L get toggled together. Please let me know if anything I’ve written doesn’t make sense or if I’m “doing it wrong” because it wouldn’t be the first (or last) time.

I have the axact same problem did you ever found a solution for this ? I know there is a API availbale but not sure how that works

It’s been so long. We were kicked out of our rental place almost a year ago and we just bought a house this summer. Needless to say, it’s been an eventful year and Hyperion hasn’t been my top priority. IIRC, what I’d do is just go into Hyperion before hand and just do it myself. I ended up using the back led lights less and less often because of it, and now that we’ve moved, I haven’t even bothered plugging my little Hyperion box in yet.

Someday I may get around to messing around with it again, but I think I’d like Hyperion to be set for auto-updates first. It’s a real pain to have to re-build each new release. I didn’t have my instance sitting out on the internet for the world to see, but I also don’t like the idea of stuff on my network being vulnerable for months until I happen to ssh in and realize there was a new release months/a year ago. The rest of my rpi’s are at least covered by unattended-upgrades, but this one wouldn’t be until an in-place upgrade is possible. And yes, I do have subnets for things I don’t trust (like this), but I’d still KNOW in the back of my head that there’s nothing I can to to automatically update Hyperion and that just drives me crazy.

Below is my code for your reference. I wrote in the configuration.yaml

switch:  
  - platform: template    
    switches:      
        usbcapture:        
         turn_on:          
          service: switch.turn_on          
          target:            
             entity_id: switch.first_led_hardware_instance_component_usb_capture        
         turn_off:          
          service: switch.turn_off          
          target:            
            entity_id: switch.first_led_hardware_instance_component_usb_capture