I have HA on RPi3

Connected via LAN to my home router. My question is: What i need to set up in HA configs to proceed with new device discovery/known tracking?

what “NEW” device discovery?

You basically just follow the component documentation for the thing you want to do…

yeah, pass this forum and follow the component documentation. Is’nt that cute?

HUH?

You need to specify what you are talking about.

There are lots of “device discovery” and tracking options.

You use the ‘component documentation’ to set these things up. Pick a component you want to use, read the documentation on it, and configure as it states.

I am really not clear on what exactly you are asking for in your Original Post.

okay, (noob_mode)
How to check entire home network searching for lamp, tv etc, searching with Home assistant Pi device thru ASUS RT-N12+, and store them all for further control, read what they’re state when i want, etc

What you’re talking about is auto discovery, and not ALL devices will show up. Some platforms require configuration setup per the component documentation as @flamingm0e stated.

Anything that’s automatically discovered will show up in the dev-state menu.

EDIT:
Unless you’re referring to device tracking via the router, then all that does is tell you if a device is on your network or not, it does not facilitate control and state reading of a device beyond “Yes this device is on your network” or “No the device is not on the network”.

1 Like

You can enable “discovery”, and that will automatically discover some things. But not everything. Some things you need to set up manually.

For instance, if you use owntracks, then you should manually set up this component in your config (see here for how).

Take a look at the components available. If you have something that cannot be set up using “discovery”, then check out the documentation for that component, and follow the instructions to set it up manually.

1 Like

And sometimes, auto discovered items don’t allow for much control of the parameters/attributes, in which you would want to manually set that component up.

1 Like

Well THANK YOU GUYS!

But i flash mSD twelve times and every time i set something up, not sure did i missed something or what because all instances revealed differences in main page… Is there a chance to write one automation, set it on boot, let the whole network that HA is able to ping (i mean homenetwork), was accurately analysed with using all components available, to make dashboard flashy and response on some basic level of discovered devices, with purpose to organise next configuration step with few or all iphosts ready for final squize of HA with some advanced insights… :slight_smile:

Is it possible?

sorry 4 my eng

If you are looking for a completely automatic configuration for Home Assistant, it’s not the right product for you.

There is lots of configuration involved depending on what devices you have. It will NOT auto discover EVERYTHING, and it won’t arrange it in a fashion that you want.

Please just take some time to review the component documentation. A lot of people have spent a lot of their valuable time to create it. You should use it and get accustomed to writing YAML.

Depends on what kinda lamp you have (or more specifically, what’s controlling that lamp), what kind of TV you have, etc. Some devices can be auto discovered and some can not.

You have to be more specific in what you have and are trying to connect before you can be given more specific answers about any of these.

What brand and model of devices do you have that you’re trying to control?

Ceiling smart light - ESP_461D6E controlled via Alexa, GAssistant, smart-life.apk
Smart Tv - Samsung UE39F5500 controlled by IRremote, CEC, discovered randomly as media.player
socket Sonoff S-20 controlled by e-welink.apk
socket Yungtong controlled by the same e-welink apk
and few smartphones
ASUS RT-N12+ as wireless router
and cameras (ONVIF)

and already set up static ip to all of them

First off, as an FYI, the full list of components which can be auto-discovered is here.

It also states there to add discovery: to your configuration.yaml to enable auto-discovery of these components. It would be worthwhile to give that a quick read through.

As for the rest of the items:

If you’re controlling it via the smartlife app, I’ll assume it’s Tuya. In which case the tuya component is the main component to integrate all Tuya Smart related platforms. You will need your Tuya account information (username, password and account country code) to discover and control devices which related to your account. The instructions for doing that are here.

Samsung TVs should be auto-discovered if they are on the network, however if you want to add it manually, the instructions can be found here.

Sonoff devices are very popular here. However 99% of people using them here have flashed them with custom firmware. If you want to look into this, the most popular option is Tasmota. There may be an option to use these with a custom component, but I’m not that familiar with this, as all of mine as flashed with Tasmota.

As for the smartphones, there are many device tracker options, including the HomeAssistant app if you use iOS. This is the list of device tracker components available to choose from.

As for the cameras, check out the camera components page to see if your specific camera has it’s own component. If not, you can use the generic IP camera component.

1 Like

Please next time use more descriptive title :grinning:

“I have HA on RPi3” doesn’t tell what topic is about :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like