I2C Screens 0.96" different than 1.3"?

Hi guys,

So, I built an OpenSprinkler sprinkler controller box with an ESP8266 and a bunch of other components. One of the things with OpenSprinkler is that you can add a screen. I purchased a few 0.96 inch IIC Serial Yellow Blue OLED Display Module 128X64 I2C from AliExpress.com and hooked it all up and it works great:

It’s pretty small so I looked around on AliExpress and found a 1.3 inch OLED module white/blue SPI/IIC I2C Communicate color 128X64, it looks like the same sort of 4-pin pinout so I bought a couple of them and they just arrived. When I went out and installed the bigger screen it looks like this:

You’ll notice if you look closely at the pinout that the VDD and GND pins are swapped from the 0.96" to the 1.3". I made sure that the pins followed the device assignments correctly. I’m trying to determine if this is some difference that I’m overlooking or if both these bigger screens are broken (the same way). I did try them both and they both came up like this.

When I gave up, I swapped the pins back and put the 0.96" screen back and it works great. Any ideas?

Thanks,
-Greg

Might be the controller chip. I use one of the smaller screens in my hall temperature sensor with ESPHome:

…and had to change the “default” model parameter to get it to work:

display:
  - platform: ssd1306_i2c
    model: "SH1106 128x64"

Not that these are super-reliable, but the title for your small screen link says: “0.96 inch IIC Serial Yellow Blue OLED Display Module 128X64 I2C SSD1306 12864 LCD Screen Board GND VCC SCL SDA for arduino” whereas one of the reviews for your larger screen says “Controller sh1106”.

The OpenSprinkler firmware appears to only support SSD1306 at first glance.

Perhaps get hold of a suitable ESP8266 board (e.g. D1 Mini) and see if the screens need different models to work. For bonus community points, submit a pull request to OpenSprinkler to add support for the larger one :sunglasses:.

Ah, I’m banking that this is why – guess I conveniently forgot that the controller might be important, lol. Good idea on the test setup, I’ll have to try that out this weekend. Thanks for your help with this!

That was the solution. I tried it in ESPHome using the correct model and it works great! Thanks again for the help @Troon!

1 Like