IKEA Tradfri - Batteries in the remote controls are quickly discharged

I hate to say it, but as long as no error can be pinpoint, there will be no changes. No developer will start to investigate an error, that is not reproducable or even narrowed down.

Don’t misunderstand me, I have the same problems as all here in the thread, but I wouldn’t get my hopes up, that there will be some changes anytime soon… :wink: I started looking for another remote, thought my time is better invested in looking around than searching for a mysterious error… :slight_smile:

1 Like

I went also for an aqara button, but the rotary dimmer from Tradfri was nicer for volume control :slight_smile:

This isn’t exactly true. Until a dev comes out and mentions that they weren’t able to reproduce with the same flow that has been mentioned, these are all items that can be looked into.

I myself gave info about what stick, what firmware version, what HA version, and the behavior.

As a developer myself, that is enough to investigate.

With an entire thread’s worth of people reporting the same issue, the only thing that needs to happen is get all this information organized.

With all due respect. A few of us over on the Smartthings forum have pinpointed the error. About a year ago there were some fundamental changes to the Zigbee stack. At that time several beta testers noticed that battery powered devices did not work well with the new stack and several had battery issues. Rather than work on a proactively fix the battery issues the Zigbee upgrade was rolled out and a “reactive” approach to dealing with this was the flavor of the day.

Several of us have now confirmed that the issue is with zigbee routing. If the zigbee path back to your hub is stable, then these batteries will last as expected. But the second that the zigbee mesh/route changes then these devices fail to switch to low power mode and are dead within a few days. (add a device, power outage, etc)

Many of the battery device providers have upgraded their firmware to solve this problem. IKEA has not… The ball is in IKEA’s court to fix their products. Ironically this battery problem does not exist with the IKEA hub… Just “other” Zigbee" hubs. So IKEA won’t be fixing this anytime soon, since in their environment there is no problem on there environment.

Oh and this impacts both their buttons AND their Blinds… The blinds just take longer to drain their batteries since they are much bigger.

1 Like

And here we are, proving my point. What you’re saying is, some people have gathered information and named their specs. Seeing any dev right now? Seeing any one organising the informations? Nope, still nothing a dev could be attracted to… See, proving my point. :smiley: With this thread, I can’t see any dev jumping in and solving this. And as I said, I’m in the same boat as you, I just don’t get my hopes up, that something will happen here, that’s all I’m saying. :slight_smile:

You’re barking at the wrong tree here… :wink: I’m not a developer, I’m not a highly connected user who could force some devs to work on this, nor am I the guy who could solve this by himself. :wink:

I’m just the guy, that tells you, and all others in this thread, “don’t keep your hopes up”. In over two and a half years nothing has happened beside the user input. Do you really want to tell me, it is any different than in April 2019? Sorry, can’t see that… :slight_smile:

And if your findings are right (can’t say, I don’t know), again, do you really see any change happening here, if “The ball is in IKEA’s court to fix their products”? Sorry, I’m the messenger that tells you, here is nothing going forward.Believe it or not… :wink: :slight_smile:

I’m agreeing with your position that this isn’t going to get fixed any time soon (if ever)
I’m disagreeing with your position that no one can pin point the problem… That has been done. Short of rolling back to a previous Zigbee stack, only IKEA can fix this…

:+1: That’s true, I’ll take back my previous comment, sorry for that. :slight_smile: But in the end we still all have remotes, that don’t work as expected… Pinpointed or not…

These remotes will never work correctly in our use cases, we don’t seem to be the target buyer… :smiley:

Just adding a bit more about the symptoms of the problem… ive noticed that when i change the battery in the ikea shortcut button… it shows 100% in home assistant, but after a short period of time, less than a day, it goes to 16% and stays there… for how long? I dont really know. but weeks for sure.
Also when i actuate the remote, the battery number jumps back up.

So here’s an example. Just replaced the battery, HA says 100%… after less than a day of not using the button at all. battery drops to 16%… the next day i hit the button… battery immediately jumps to 60%. I then take the battery out and test it… tests like its still a new battery… put it back in… still shows 60%.

here’s an interesting graph of the battery since i added it yesterday:

I am using 2021.10.4 home assistant with a sonoff zigbee bridge.

Will continue to keep testing to see how long exactly it lasts for and whether it continues to rebound after sitting idle for a while and then me activating the button.

Interesting battery level too… I have an IKEA 5 button remote which has been working fine for months but is always showing 16% battery as well.

I’m using a Conbee 2 with ZHA.

So here’s another interesting update. As you recall from my last post, i clicked the button and the battery shot up to 60% from 16%… i have not touched anything since and now the battery is showing 87%! Here’s the graph.

So i have no idea what’s going on here… but perhaps we have two issues, one is a reporting issue by the device (or interpretation by zha) AND a high battery consumption issue overall?

Ill keep watching… i want to throw a sniffer on here and see how this button performs connected to ZHA vs another one i have that is connected to an actual ikea hub. Im not saying i would be able to do much about it but maybe seeing the behaviour might help.

Hmm… May I ask you check your OS version ? (and Kernel) And when they has been updated?

Reflashed my husbz-1 stick with 6.7.8, removed all zigbee devices in HA (running the latest as of this writing), and re paired my Tradfri remote.

Two days later it’s completely dead. I give up. I’m thinking of downgrading the firmware on the stick to what it was released as. Just need to look that info up.

So I’m running home assistant core on a Mac mini running Catalina. I have not update it in a while. I’ll get you the specific Catalina release if you need but it’s the latest. I’m really thinking the only way to truly know what’s happening is with a sniffer with the ikea device connected to an ikea hub and then to a zha hub. However even if the difference is discovered who knows if soMething can even be done about it.

Oh and the device eventually died. Tested battery and it drained. So lots of sporadic battery leve reports until the battery eventually died.

Did you not have problems before upgrading? I’m beginning to think this might be the problem with the smarthings people saying a zigbee stack update is what triggered battery drain for them.
I had some ikea remotes working for 6+ months earlier and now they drain, didn’t put 2 and 2 together that it might be because I upgraded my HUSBZB-1 firmware. I’m going to try downgrading also, can’t find the original 5.4.1 fw, earliest in the repo is 5.7.3

Yup, no issues earlier. I can’t find the original 5.4.1 either. I think I will just downgrade to 5.7.3 in that case.

I’m also gonna try a zigbee stick with a newer chip on it as well, just waiting for something to come in stock.

On Linux Kernel prior 5.13.0.19 have an error with USB-Serial Adapter based on ch341 https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=214131
My Zigbee coordinator based on cc2652 with ch341 chip
So. for me. after update (Ubuntu from Hirsute Hippoto - 5.11 Linux kernel to Impish indri - 5.13 kernel) Tradfri on/off switch E1743 works more than one week (and still working :slight_smile: )
Of course - battery status VERY strange: two days 100%, than 84% than 64% other last days 74% again

Got some more information myself.

I have a husbzb-1, which was running firmware 6.7.8. This was causing Tradfri remote controls to die in a day or 2.

I have downgraded the firmware to 5.8.1…it has been a week and a half since I’ve done it and my remote control is still functioning.

Awesome, I haven’t gotten around to it yet but that’s promising news!

So, it seems like the issue is still around. I know this is not the place dev happens so if someone can point to an open issue that’ll be helpful.
I am having the same issue. TRADFRI 5 button remote, HA Core 2021.11.0 and configured ZHA. Using ZigStar V4 stick shown as " ZNP = Texas Instruments Z-Stack ZNP protocol: CC253x, CC26x2, CC13x2
by ZHA." Both Tradfri remoted have Firmware: 0x23014631.

Mine have gone through various OTA updates and attempts to fix them via rebinding etc over the past few days. The battery has shown everything from 16% to 100% during that time, all over the place, and is now sitting at 87%. I think the values reported are simply wildly inaccurate, the actual battery has still over 3V according to my voltmeter.

1 Like