IKEA Trådfri Gateway [Zigbee]

Hi,

I needed to install also automake and autconf together with the libtool, maybe
sudo apt-get install automake autoconf

can be added to the doucmentation?

Having this exact issue, have tried both with and without the configuration in my configuration.yaml, and get same results either way.

The current integration needs a special version of libcoap. Install instructions are in in the tradfri component documentation. This should have been mentioned in the release announcement (imho). I think the goal is to use a pure python coap library as soon as it is compatible with the tradfri coap+dtls implemtation.

Same problem for me (coap-client built with dtls-support and installed in /usr/local/bin and working from prompt)

I have it working from cli just not within home assistant

I installed everything according to the documentation, but I am getting error messages in the log and the lights do not respond.
> 17-04-22 17:23:48 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.helpers.entity] Update for light.stehlampe fails

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/srv/homeassistant/homeassistant_venv/lib/python3.5/site-packages/homeassistant/helpers/entity.py", line 225, in async_update_ha_state
    None, self.update)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.5/asyncio/futures.py", line 361, in __iter__
    yield self  # This tells Task to wait for completion.
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.5/asyncio/tasks.py", line 296, in _wakeup
    future.result()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.5/asyncio/futures.py", line 274, in result
    raise self._exception
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.5/concurrent/futures/thread.py", line 55, in run
    result = self.fn(*self.args, **self.kwargs)
  File "/srv/homeassistant/homeassistant_venv/lib/python3.5/site-packages/homeassistant/components/light/tradfri.py", line 130, in update
    self._light.update()
  File "/home/homeassistant/.homeassistant/deps/pytradfri/device.py", line 85, in update
    self.raw = self.api('get', self.path)
  File "/home/homeassistant/.homeassistant/deps/pytradfri/api.py", line 12, in retry_api
    return api(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/home/homeassistant/.homeassistant/deps/pytradfri/coap_cli.py", line 53, in request
    raise RequestTimeout() from None
pytradfri.error.RequestTimeout

Does the motion sensor work with HA? (The IKEA one)

1 Like

very interested as well

After resetting the gateway everything is fine.

Most of the info is Linux-related. My HA runs on Win10. Any ideas on how to get this working?

Seeing this on the HASS twitter feed, I excitedly looked them up to see how they would compare with my Telldus Live setup, I just went and sunk a fair amount of Money into bulbs etc this evening and have to say am impressed! The ability to change the colour temperature, along with brightness and ease of setup is quite nice!

Just got this setup and working on hass 0.43 too and so far works great! I need to do some more testing but so far I am liking the 2-way communication very much. Only thing I came across was that the HASS UI was slow to update the current state when it was changed from an external source (i.e. Ikea Remote or App), but it may have been transient as I have tested again and not been able to repro.

For those looking, as I was unsure of this. To buy into the setup, you need the gateway, a ‘steering device’ (1 x controller such as dimmer or remote) and bulbs.
The gateway pairs with the ‘steering device’ or remote. Once that is done, you then use that remote to program your bulbs to appear in the Ikea app.

Once you have paired the bulb, you can move it into different groups. In other words, you do not need a remote for each room / group which I was concerned about before purchasing!

thanks. You got a motion sensor?

For those of you with my problem, i rolled back to a backup before i installed pytradfri the first time, reset my gateway and followed the instructions full on the component page, now I am all working, thankfully. Not sure which one fixed it exactly, i’d maybe start with the reset and following the guide on components page instead of starting from scratch like i had to do.

Pytradfri is running on version 1.0 in Home Assistant and 1.0 requires a reinstall of the coap-client (with the settings on the Tradfri help page) to work.

In my case I can see tradfi on the HA Dashboard. but it returns an invalid configuration.
I entered in place of the API_Key the security code on the back of the bridge.
Is there a different value for API_KEY?

I could as well, but in the end I removed the configuration entirely from yaml file and let it discover my devices. Then I reset the gateway, which I think is the key activity here, and re-installed the libraries following the guide on the component page and it does so all working now.

Edit: oh the key and security code are the same thing as far as I can tell

I can confirm this also worked for me, i was seeing the same type of issue as others, only after restarting the gateway was i able to get past the unable to connect message.

I have also submitted some pull requests to update the documentation on the components page, hopefully this will enable other to get starter quicker than us :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks @Joeboyc2 for updating the component documentation to clarify the API_Key.

I had no luck with the lights and tried to play with the developer tools > States.
Doing so I deleted the state attributes from entity: configurator.ikea_tradfri.

Can someone add the original JSON state attributes?

The reason I started playing, before deleting it in the original state it was asking for the security key.
I added the security key, hit the confirm button but nothing happened on the screen.
The configure applet remained

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Not sure if I am missing something - but can I use a Tradfri group in Home Assistant? I have 2 bulbs which I want to control together. I can do this fine in the Ikea app, but not sure if I am missing something in HASS?

No, it’s not supported yet. There is support for it in the underlying Python lib but not in HASS.

1 Like