Ikea Tradfri: Transition and Moods

Transitions for colour temperature have been added in the last update. But they only work for one of the attributes, e.g.:

• If you set only the the temperature and a transition time, it works as expected and the temperature warps smoothly from on to another.
  • If you set brightness and temperature, the temperature will be set instantly, the brightness will adapt slowly as expected.

If someone found out something else, I would be happy to know :grin:

Indeed my request is about handling of color temperature in a “native” tradfri group: it is still not possible to set the temperature and the only way is to use the HA light groups, resulting in non simultaneous lights update.

Have made a separate request for simultaneous lights update in HA LIght groups as I have similar issue replicating Tradfri groups

I think that we have two problems when using the HA light groups instead of the native trådfri ones:

1. The commands are sent individually to the trådfri gateway and then to each light of the group, resulting in non simultaneous lamp update. This is particularly noticeable if you have many lights in group. Somewhere in the chain the commands are queued and take a while to propagate. Maybe the ZigBee network?
  2. The light status update from the trådfri gateway to HA is slower because of point above, resulting in flickering of the HA group brightness slider and on/off button in the HA UI.

I might miss the point, but I don’t get how the delay would prevent the main issue that is no. 1.

I don’t notice a delay just the lights turning on in series one after the other . I have 6 lights in the group so adding a user variable decreasing delay of say 6ms, 5ms , 4ms between each light turning on may give the effect of the lights turning on together ?

I experience a random order plus I think that all the commands are sent at the same time, it is just a matter of how the network reacts. In other words, I don’t think a fixed delay per light would solve it.

I know it is a bit of a workaround, but for now, in my situation, I seemed to have found a solution to the transition of both color temp and brightness. Please note, I am planning of integrating a script to change the brightness and temp based on a Lux meter which I have outside, but with a very fast transition of first color and then a slow transition of brightness it does seem to work quite good. This was just a test setup, but maybe someone can use the following automation:

automations.yaml

- alias: TableTransition
  hide_entity: false
  trigger:
  - platform: state
    entity_id: input_boolean.transition_test
    to: 'on'
  action:
    - service: light.turn_on
      entity_id: light.table
      data:
       brightness: 12
       color_temp: 254
    - delay: 00:00:01
      data:
       color_temp: 483
       transition: 2
    - delay: 00:00:03
      data:
       brightness: 254
       transition: 2

Please note, I have set a initial color temp and brightness just as a test. If you don’t set anything but just switch the lamp/group on, Ikea tradfri switches on in the previous state. This makes switching between “moods” a bit easier.

The delay between the lights isn’t solved with above.

There are 2 types one that colour temp changes and one that’s dim only. Ones £7 and the others £12. I only buy color change type. Wensbury store.

Any news? My “Ikea groups” in the UI all just support Dimming / brightness but they don’t support color temp, not through the UI and not through scripts.

Link to a script I wrote to make the transition a bit less akward :slight_smile:

Not so many articles over the internet, about IKEA GU10 ZigBee bulbs in relation with HA, so let’s try to ask here.

Does these bulbs have some effects natively?

Example: I already have Xiaomi/Yeelight color bulbs (E27), which are natively showing several effects in Effects drop down of light entity in HA. Are there some effects for IKEA bulbs? In particular, I am interested in 804.392.28, because these are only IKEA ZigBee color bulbs available in my country.

Thx.