Ikea Tradfry remote control

Hi there, I’m interested in buying the Ikea tradfry but thought on several uses for the remote control.

If you have ikea gateway and remote control, would be possible to use the remote for another action? If the remote talks directly with the gateway, use the remote to start an automation for example.

1 Like

Doing this with Hue remote so don’t see why not

2 Likes

Actually I dont think the component supports anything apart from lights, yet.
There is no tradfri.py in HA sensor component dir:

1 Like

Thanks to both, my idea was to turn on a wi-fi bulb for example. If button on remote pressed turn on wi-fi bulb.
This way I was thinking on white ikea bulbs and if I want RGB I would go for Xiaomi (or other chepear) using an ikea remote as they are cheap.

Its definitely possible with other switches.
Hopefully the tradfri gateway/API and HA component will support the sensors at some point in the near future…

2 Likes

why not xiaomi switch, is cheaper and no problem for compatibility

But for Xiaomi Switch you need the Xiaomi gateway too right? I want to keep the less possible ecosystems, but probably right now Xiaomi can be a better approach.

Yes I am suggesting to go ONLY xiaomi (gateway+bulbs+switches+sensors)

1 Like

I would be great to use the remote to turn on/off other lights like hue, nexa. Some progress?

1 Like

Hi all,

I just bought another tradfri remote to use it to control my philips bulb on living room.

I can see it correctly but if I want to use it (I use at the moment a xiaomi switch) the automation doesn’t start).

Do you know if it is possible?

Thank you in advance!

no one knows? I tried but it doesn’t work!

So… HASSIO or HA uses pytradfri python to talk with gateway.
Also I get the remote and motion sensor battery status… but I want the event of remote click or movement detection.
If we get the battery status… wouldn´t it be reasonable that we could get also the events?

I am trying to understand where to start to investigate. I looked on pytradfri I think they get the device types and events… right?

Using the switch directly is not possible. I have a few tradfri switches and bulbs and have a z-wave power socket. I use the state of one light as a trigger to power on the radio(plugged in the z-wave socket) when i turn on the lights.