Input_select with Google Assistant?

Since 0.111 it’s possible to expose an input_select, which works kind of. My input_select shows up in the Google Home app as a sensor. Is it supposed to do that? I don’t see any value or whatever.

Also, how am I supposed to call this through Google Assistant? I’ve tried a lot of things but it won’t change the input_select.

Who can help?

4 Likes

I’ve got the same question. When I “synced my devices” it showed up in the displayed list. Clicking on it showed me all my options. After the sync screen disappeared, I have no way to select it again and none of my voice commands register.

Hey google, set “device name here” to “input option here” does not work.
Any advice would be appreciated

I am having the same problem as well. Has anyone been able to get this working?

The examples on this page may be of help

https://developers.google.com/assistant/smarthome/traits/inputselector

Thanks @dshokouhi, that helped me somewhat in looking at the debug logs to ensure the right data was being sent. In the end, I was finally able to get this to work by including the word “mode” in my phrasing (i.e. “Hey Google, set <input select name> MODE to <input option>”). Without “mode,” nothing would happen. A little more picky than I’d like or was expecting, but it does work at least.

4 Likes

Yea google has a knack for reserving keywords like that, wait until you have to change an entity name because they decided to reserve a keyword. Had that happen with my shield.

1 Like

This was the missing link for me too. Thanks, @apop!

I’ve been trying this too. My language is Dutch, I’ve tried all kinds of options, google comes with al kinds of stories, but not switching my input_select to one of the options.

What I did:

• Checked if the input_select is in my google home app. (It’s a sensor)
  • Made a flow in node red to control my music (selecting playlist and turn on all kinds of options)

I’ve tried:
“Zet sfeermaker op Twee”
“Zet sfeermaker mode op twee”
“Zet input van sfeermaker op twee”
“Schakel sfeermaker naar twee”

I’m using Nabu Casa to get my entities to google.

What can I do more?

maybe Zet sfeermaker modus op twee?

unfortunately…

:crazy_face: sorry it was just a cheeky guess

Not sure if it will help you, but in German i was able to do it like this:

“Schalte XY auf Eingang YZ”

So maybe:

“Schakel sfeermaker naar input twee”

In any case, i recommend to use the keyboard to send the command, so you can be sure its always the same for testing.

This bothered me a lot too. It felt unnatural and other family members could never remember the syntax.

Fortunately, there’s a fix. By using “routines” in the Google Home app, you can set several other phrases to trigger specific commands. For example, you could create a routine that accepts “set light to night OR set light to night mode OR night mode” and runs “set living room light mode to night”

Did you ever figure this out? I am also clueless how to get this working.

1 Like

Any idea how to do this through the Google Home scripts? I cannot access the state through device.state.SensorState, nor change it through device.command.SetInput