Input, storing and displaying custom values

Currently I am filling an Excel sheet with my monthly energy consumption that I read from my (anlogue) power meter.
I like to input these values into a HA card, which stores the data including date and time and also displays the history.
What would be the best approach for this? I know there is the input number itegration but its documentation does not explain if the imputs will be stored in the database.

They will.

Everything will. Unless you exclude it.

Be aware that the default purge interval for the recorder is 10 days.

If you want to store data for a long time (months to years) use the influxdb database.

The SQL database is fine for short term use in home assistant but not reliable enough for long term use.

Thanks for the warning.
I installed MariaDB and phpmyadmin as I had to edit the dates of my inputs.

MariaDB is not meant for long term storage either. Still SQL.

Can I edit influxdb with phpmyadmin addon?

No. It’s for SQL databases only.

I installed Influxdb community addon by following the instuctions 2 times, but HA will not start with the influxdb addition to the configuration.yaml

What errors do you get ?

its not going further from the last entry

I already edited the configuration and removed the influxdb block, but its still seem to stuck

Here is the core log.

I can now access the webinterface again.
I’ll try out Influxdb on another HA installation.

Can you show what configuration you added?

Just in case there is some confusion: You cant use influxDB as the recorder DB. Keep using MariaDB for that. InfluxDB is an additional database for long term storage.

influxdb:
  host: a0d7b954-influxdb
  port: 8086
  database: homeassistant
  username: homeassistant
  password: homeassistant
  max_retries: 3
  default_measurement: state

Of course I set up the database and user in the admin panel accordingly

That’s all good. :+1:

You did not remove your recorder config for mariaDB though did you?

Yes, I did remove the recorder block

Put it back.

you mean the influxdb block and the recorder block?
I already put back the recorder. Now running only MariaDB

recorder:
  db_url: mysql://homeassistant:homeassistant@core-mariadb/homeassistant?charset=utf8mb4
  include:
    entities:

Hmm… I do not concur, MariaDB, MySQL are just databases like any other (SQL stands for Structured Query Language)

Many financial accounting software (Microsoft Dynamics, Unit4, Exact) use SQL engines to do accounting for huge companies spanning multiple years…
So why SQL would not suitable for long term???

If you are talking about SQLlight…yeah i agree, but that is only because it is a light version