Install - Windows or other?

In light of many recent changes to HA I am interested in latest advice.
I have been running hassio on RPI for a little now and ready to upgrade to a nuc.
Am looking on eBay and would appreciate advice on two aspects.

1. Is a gen 7 going to be far superior to G5?
  2. Many come preloaded with Windows10 which I am more familiar with than other OS’s - is it possible to use VM effectively/recommended through Win10?
    Appreciate any input.

I would definitely install another OS on the nuc, not run HA in a VM on windows.

1 Like

+1 for what @francisp says. Avoid windows.

1 Like

I run HA under a VM on Windows (using VirtualBox). I’ve never had any significant problems and really like being able to easily do a snapshot before any upgrade. The only negative I’ve found is Microsoft sometimes forces reboots for critical patches, and a couple of times the VM didn’t automatically restart. But I had an existing Windows PC. I also have a NUC for other uses, but haven’t found a compelling reason to move HA to it. A down-side of Ubuntu on the NUC is remote desktop doesn’t work properly.

1 Like

Thanks for advice.

I would endorse @francisp and @nickrout views which (if you look) are for the same reasons as @michaelblight says.

I am a Windows user but the increasing lack of predictability for updates and restarts and the general faffing about it has forced on me over the last 5 years has meant that I am trying to get away from it where ever possible.

You are spoilt for choice on the Linux distribution front, and if you have no particular bent/bias then just find one of the many guides here on the forum that you can relate to and go with that.

I think @kanga_who 's guides are easy to read and follow, and he also maintains them so they are as up to date as you could wish for.

Good Luck

1 Like

Thanks and appreciate the suggestion of guides. I’ll certainly follow up.