Installation image for x86 hardware

Are there any installation images for x86 hardware? Like there is for the raspberry? Would be great because I’m spending lots of time to get it working on Ubuntu server 16.04.3 without result.

The Youtube and website tutorials aren’t helping either.

edit:typo

On Ubuntu just install python and home assistant with pip.
Here is great instruction https://home-assistant.io/docs/installation/virtualenv/

Thanks for your quick reply. But can you explain to me why I have to use ‘virtualenv’ to install HASS? Instead of the other guides provided here:

https://home-assistant.io/docs/installation/python/

As far as I could tell virtualenv is just for added security, and I wasn’t planning to attached the HASS server to the internet permenantly.

Actually, it has nothing to do with security.

A virtual environment simply creates a particular set of python modules available to a python program.

Python modules do not take much notice of backwards compatibility when they are developed, so it is likely that one python program needs a different version than another. If each program has its own virtual environment, they can both run with the version of the module they need.

It also makes uninstallation and reinstallation easy, as you can just delete the directory containing the virtual environment and create it again.

Using virtual environments for any python program is highly recommended.

I actually have HA installed without virtual env without any issue. I don’t see a need for it.

Ok thanks for the correction! I will give that a try.

RobDYI: Maybe you installed it on a physical machine?
I’m installing it on a VM runnning ESX, maybe thats why it didn’t work for me…

I am running it on Ubuntu 17.04 on ESX 6.5 without any issues but I used the virtual environment install

I have used this procedure to go through it https://home-assistant.io/docs/installation/virtualenv/

I’m also running ESX 6.5 but with Ubuntu 16.04.3.

I have the problem as yesterday (using the same procedure as you): “unsupported locale setting”

root@HASS:~# pip3 install --upgrade virtualenv
Traceback (most recent call last):
_ File “/usr/bin/pip3”, line 11, in _
_ sys.exit(main())_
_ File “/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/pip/init.py”, line 215, in main_
_ locale.setlocale(locale.LC_ALL, ‘’)_
_ File “/usr/lib/python3.5/locale.py”, line 594, in setlocale_
_ return setlocale(category, locale)
locale.Error: unsupported locale setting

I tried many different options but nothing fixed it for me.

Use Docker

sudo apt install docker-ce
sudo docker create --restart=always -p 8123:8123 -v /hass_folder_on_yoursrvr:/config --name=hass_version# homeassistant/homeassistant:version#
sudo docker start hass_version#

Access at serverip:8123

Jesus, its still not working! What does one have to do to make this work?? How hard can it be? Do you have to be a Senior Linux System Administrator to make this work… I’m getting really frustrated here.

This is a linux issue, not a home assistant issue. Run this

locale-gen "en_US.UTF-8"
update-locale LC_ALL=en_US.UTF-8 LANG=en_US.UTF-8

this will set locale to english us utf-8 - if you need something else you can find codes for all countries/languages online.

the commands must be run with administrator privileges (root user with su root or start bash with sudo bash and run the commands)

I’m running multiple instances of home assistant on ubuntu 16.4 on real hardware or virtualized (container, vm, vmware) and didn’t have any issues apart from normal linux configuration needing to be properly done before installing home assistant.

2 Likes

quasar66,
Thank you very much for your quick reply.

The command: "locale-gen “en_US.UTF-8”
update-locale LC_ALL=en_US.UTF-8 LANG= en_US.UTF-8" didn’t do it for me.

I had to: dpkg-reconfigure locales and select “en_US.UTF-8”
Then it re-applied all local setttings and it worked.

Thank you all!
Great, helpfull community here.