Installation of Hassio on Synology NAS

Sorry I sent you into weeds.

Yes, I recommend regular HA and separate home bridge container.

I saw this recommended but i don’t use home bridge
https://hub.docker.com/r/oznu/homebridge/

I agree… As mentioned i had managed to get socat by entware etc… Just don’t know the last bit…

Is your Asustor NAS same as Synology i.e. no systemctld … if so , do you have ur config?

I am trying to figure out if they can talk to each other then? I am new to docker… And wondering if I install two separate docker… then can I simply goto the homeassistant yaml and add homebridge and it will work? I would have thought it won’t

Yes. Just add IP and Port in yaml

When create container you may define Port(s) on host it will be accessible.

Thanks… will try at home over the weekend…

I am actually confused now with my architecture… My Idea basically was

1. Install Hassio
  2. Install plugin for HA on hassio
  3. Install devices on Hassio

Then homekit will be able to see everything… But I think this will not work?

Basic end game was to be able to use all devices on google assistant / google home as well as Siri / HomeKit…

I am guessing I will have to configure each device on both platforms individually (duplicate) or under hassio yaml as well as under the homebridge plugin config in the same yaml file?

So will be

1. Install HA
  2. Install Homebridge plugin
  3. Configure device on HA and under homebridge (so that homekit can see it)
  4. enable google assistant component on HA.

Or go the otherway? i.e Install homebridge and have HA as a plugin to it? I am a bit confused to the end game scenario best for the above situation

I am wondering, why dosn’t HA have a homekit component?

Anyone who has done this scenario ??

Yep, the NAS uses init.d, so I created the startup scripts for that. I also had to install optware (or rather entware-ng) to be able to use bash and other linux tools. The NAS has it’s own brand of linux but I needed extra tools like wget. I will see if I can post my scripts here.

This might be a nice help for you as well: https://home-assistant.io/docs/autostart/init.d/
That is for help with init.d, but that page is for installed hass instead of hassio

Thanks… If u have ur scripts lemme know as well…

Will play with the above in the meantime

I have somehow got supervisor and homeassistant to run now by running the start script commands in two separate terminals… haven’t figured out the start / stop script…

the scripts I ran were

/opt/bin/socat UNIX-LISTEN:/var/run/hassio-hc.sock,fork EXEC:/usr/bin/hassio-hc

And in another terminal

/usr/bin/hassio-start

But I can see an issue already… once I am in the webpage … it has an error

The following components and platforms could not be set up:

Please check your config.

from the log

2018-01-13 22:51:23 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.hassio] Client error on /supervisor/ping request Cannot connect to host 172.30.32.2:80 ssl:False [Host is unreachable]
2018-01-13 22:51:23 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.hassio] Not connected with HassIO!
2018-01-13 22:51:23 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.setup] Setup failed for hassio: Component failed to initialize.

Server down perhaps? can’t ping it as well

Also seems HA is restarting itself every 10 minutes… output of the hassio-start script running on a terminal…

18-01-13 11:38:40 INFO (SyncWorker_12) [hassio.docker.homeassistant] Start homeassistant homeassistant/qemux86-64-homeassistant with version 0.60.1
18-01-13 11:40:45 ERROR (MainThread) [hassio.tasks] Watchdog found a problem with Home-Assistant API!
18-01-13 11:40:45 INFO (SyncWorker_11) [hassio.docker.interface] Restart homeassistant/qemux86-64-homeassistant
18-01-13 11:45:45 WARNING (MainThread) [hassio.tasks] Watchdog miss API response from Home-Assistant
18-01-13 11:50:45 ERROR (MainThread) [hassio.tasks] Watchdog found a problem with Home-Assistant API!
18-01-13 11:50:45 INFO (SyncWorker_12) [hassio.docker.interface] Restart homeassistant/qemux86-64-homeassistant

So the whole exercise of getting this thing to run to get the hassio menu is still now showing up… :disappointed:

Hi @its,

I have HA working on a synology 916+ by docker.

I dunno if you already need help.

Do you have it with hassio so you can do plugins via website? If so, yes still trying to figure things out…

Hi,

I dunno if it’s hassio (i don’t think so) i have this…

and i access via website.

Any help with the above errors guys? coming to my wit’s end now… it can’t connect to hassio IP it seems and container seems to restart every 10 min… Also need script for init

Maybe there is a linux savvy community member who can put together a formal Synology Package as described at: https://developer.synology.com/developer-guide/create_package/index.html
It would help a lot of users with a Synology NAS.
(Domoticz also has a formal Synology package)

1 Like

Definitely @peerv … Hopefully, someone can help

I am good… not that good :stuck_out_tongue: I think its all about replacing the startup with init.d and then packaging all…

let me refresh the topic,
anyone figure it out how to install Hass.io in menu on synology using homeassistant docker ?
thank you in advance

Any update on this? After successfully running Hass.io on a NUC I am also keen to move it all to my Synology DS918+. At the moment I have it running on an Ubuntu VM and although its working well I can’t help think it will use less resources (CPU & RAM) running on docker…thoughts?

I don’t think you can do the docker in a docker thing nor would I want to? Just install any add-on’s you want manually is what I do and isn’t that difficult plus you get the ability to install stuff that isn’t on the add-ons list.

anyone tried to use https://synocommunity.com/package/homeassistant from SynoCommunity ?

I wouldn’t waste my time on that one. It’s an ancient version from 2015, one initial release, never updated.

If your Synology is able to run docker and you want to run home assistant on it, the official home assistant docker image is the best way to go in my opinion.

Regarding the hass.io plugins: virtually every hassio addon is just a wrapped and preconfigured version of a native docker container providing the same functionality.

It’s just a bit more convenient to manage these addon containers completely inside HA, instead of switching to the Synology docker GUI. And you spare yourself a bit of manual editing the HA configuration.

Apart from that, I don’t see a great benefit in trying to get hass.io running on a synology nas instead of using the native docker containers.

Let’s take an example like the Lovelace Migration add-on. How do you install this add-on into HA on Docker on Synology NAS?

I’ve pulled down the Docker bits, mapped the config folder, but it fails on launch. There’s got to be more to it. So although multiple people have said how easy it is to manually install add-ons without using Hassio, I’m clearly doing something wrong because the only one that I’ve successfully set up this way was the HASS Configurator.