Installing Home Assistant on a RPi 4b with SSD boot

I am surprised that you say this is supported? I have read the supported supervisor is Debian only, not custom versions of it? What is the beta version you used? I’m have been waiting for a fix since 5.5 os was released and it appears there is no interest from the developers to work on a fix. I agree the pi OS (if it works) should be the way forward and using Home Assistant Supervised. Did you follow any install directions? Any issues restoring your snapshot?

The only idea I have is the power supply.
When you connect the SSD to USB 3 and the Conbee to USB 2 is the red LED of the Pi on the whole time? If not you have to look for another power supply. Most power supplies drop the voltage when there is much current needed. The original Pi power supply is not doing this!

Interesting, I’ll have a look, thanks! I’ve just bought the original supply so will give that a go when it arrives :+1:

I’m just saying it’s supported, because HA thinks you’re on Debian (which you almost are, because Raspberry OS is a fork of Debian).
The supervisor says you’re on Debian.

As mentioned:
All the other options gave problems, but I’m now running HA on Raspberry OS with no reboot/freeze since 3 weeks.

I’m using the Raspberry OS from August 2020 Index of /raspios_arm64/images

(Just saw there’s a new one since April)

I followed this tutorial, but with the Beta of OS 64bit (edit: Corrected link)

Snapshot worked flawlessly.

HA runs on the latest version

1 Like

Thanks. Which controller do you have? I tried the Debian install with the StarTech and it worked until a reboot. Will try the RPI is next.

What went wrong in the boot?

Even with USB enabled as 1st boot it sometimes boots from the SD when I left it inside.

I wanted to leave it inside to make system backup images to the SD, but now took it out.
(I updated my first post with all the setup details)

The Debian update breaks the USB boot. Comments in one of the forum how to prevent this. Looking like the RPIOS maybe the way to go as this is tested to work with the PI vs Debian is not. Only issue here is RPI OS is not the supported way to go with supervisor on Home Assistant. Neither choice is a good one.

for nubies you can try using my scripts

For me it doesn’t really matter that it’s not supported, as long as it works and HA thinks it’s supported :wink:

Weird thing is that it boots again okay if the SD is removed…

Yeah, used your method first (not your script), but wanted more…
I’m using a touchscreen connected on the RPI with a 180 turned screen.
Also wanted to be able to use RealVNC, which all was way more effort with Debian as with RPIOS…

I tried the new version and after the update it wouldn’t boot. Same issue as Debian update. For the initial setup of the rpios what tutorial did you follow? On the august version when I accessed via ssh I was not logged in to the root account. Thanks.

And what happens when change the eeprom again? (To latest, as discribed in first post)

So Update upgrade all/ don’t reboot/ set boot modus / check eeprom / reboot?

Last thing you could try:

Install all on SD.
Make sure boot from SSD is selected and then clone SD to SSD (use the raspberry OS clone function).

I used this tutorial. (edit corrected link)

You don’t need root, pi with Sudo is fine.

I have the latest eeprom. I wanted to set a user account and using pi / raspberry from ssh is not the root account. The script from the tutorial did not run. I assume that this was due to not having proper rights (sudo?)

Strange,

With this installation Pi should be the default user with Sudo rights. That’s the fun with using this image. Or did you create a Pi next to pi?

Did you use:?
sudo bash installer.sh --machine raspberrypi4-64

(UPDATE)

Ah, I see:
I used this tutorial and the previous one.

I used KingRichards, with the RPIOS 64bit and then “sudo” all his commands.

(now I remember all the hassle again :wink:

Never easy! Did you setup using your public key? Or just a password for SSH?

So, because you’re using the RPIOS, you only need the “ssh” file.(install like all the headless RPI tutorials tell)
Then you can directly ssh with “pi” and “raspberry”.

Set all the right settings with sudo raspi-config (ssh, password, vnc).

Then continue with kingRichard tutorial.

1 Like

Thank you for all your help. This time it worked correctly and logged in with pi / raspberry. I used the directions from

https://community.home-assistant.io/t/installing-home-assistant-supervised-on-raspberry-pi-os/201836 

Which is very similar to your link to kingrichard. I tried the straight Debian several times and I was having network issues, and many frustration with things not working as was called out in different install methods. I could not figure out why so I tried the RPI OS (March release). So far everything seems to work correctly. Hopefully it stays running unlike when I upgrade the HAOS past 5.4.

make sure if you used the latest debian for RPI to do this before you do anything

apt-mark hold linux-image-arm64

Else upon update, you wont be able to boot from SSD

Guys, I guess it would make sense to open a separate thread for your discussion. It does not help those who come here to follow the guide if they have to dig through tons of only loosely related postings. You are welcome to leave a link here to your new thread, so those who are interested can find your way off doing things.

1 Like

You are correct, sorry.

1 Like