Installing home assistant on older surface pro

I recently decided to change over to Home Assistant from using every different devices specific app/ecosystem. I have been trying everything to get it up and running on an older surface pro that I no longer use and it has been nothing but trouble and way more of a headache than I expected.

I first set it up in a vm on windows with virtualbox and at first it seemed to be working. It took a while to complete the installation and be accessible but it came up eventually. I started configuring a bunch of stuff as it had automatically detected many of my devices immediately. But after probably 2 hours it stopped responding. I tried resetting the vm and after that it was coming up with errors on boot and I could never get back into the console. I tried fully deleting the vm and starting from scratch but it never got back to the point where I could access the console.

So I tried the method of booting into ubuntu and then installing hassos directly on the device. However the first time I attempted this it seemed that the os did not recognize the wifi on the surface and it wouldn’t ever give an IP address. I ordered a usb to ethernet adapter and started over. This time I got to the point where I could see the console finishing the installation when I would go to homassistant.local:8123. But it never finished loading the console. I restarted multiple times from ubuntu and reinstalling hassos and after 3 or 4 tries I got to the point where I set up my user account and set my location. It discovered a bunch of devices on the network and I thought I was finally in business.

However, just like the one time I got it to run in the VM it just stopped responding again. This time it was much quicker. Probably 10 minutes. The CLI gave 4 errors saying:
“[1770.318296] usb-2-1-port4: cannot disable (err = -110)”
“[1775.886319] usb 2-1.4: device not accepting address 10, error -71”
“[1776.806040] usb 2-1.4: device not accepting address 10, error -71”
“[1785.276341] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: Canceled URB td not found on endpoint ring”

So it seems like some type of issue with the USB adapter? Has anyone run home assistant on a surface pro successfully? Any insight into how to address these error messages or advice to making my setup run more stable?

Thanks in advanced