Installing Home Assistant OS using Proxmox 8

When using a HA VM, the config location is at /config, not /usr/share/hassio/homeassistant

Donā€™t have it in ā€™ / ā€™ either. Never mind, had to upgrade all my Tasmota devices so started with a fresh install of everything. Cheers again. :ok_hand:

Youā€™re in the root of the Proxmox OS, not the HA VM. You need to install the SSH add-on from within HA, then you can connect to the VM with something like WinSCP.

1 Like

All good; sorted. Thanks.

Hi @kanga_who. I found this thread while looking for an alternative way to install my Home Assistant. Just learned about HA a few months ago and started testing it for implementation when we move in to our new apartment.
My Test HA is on a VirtualBox VM in a 10-year old Windows 10 laptop with a first gen Intel i5-520M, 4GB RAM and 640GB HDD. I also have another VirtualBox VM with Ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS Desktop in which I have Tuya Convert setup to Tasmotize devices. On Windows 10, I have installed Plex Media Server (using the same 640GB HDD as media storage for home videos and old TV shows downloaded using a torrent client also installed on Windows 10) and PlexConnect, which only works with Python 2.7.x (github.com/iBaa/PlexConnect). I use PlexConnect for my Apple TV 3 to have access to my PMS.
The 640GB HDD failed recently so I have a 500GB SSD on the way. After reading this whole thread, I decided that I will install Proxmox instead of Windows 10 on the SSD.
Your guide is very detailed and Iā€™m confident that I will be able to follow it successfully to get HA running. Since you are using Proxmox with multiple VMs for your HA, PMS, etc., my questions are more on using Proxmox for PMS and PlexConnect. I have very limited Linux knowledge so excuse any basic questions.

1. Any reason why you are using Ubuntu 18.04 for your PMS? Can I use 20.04.1 LTS Desktop instead?
  2. Can I install PMS directly on Ubuntu without using Docker? Any downsides in doing this?
  3. Iā€™ll be using the same SSD, where Proxmox is installed, as my media storage for PMS. How should I setup my media storage in the Ubuntu VM for PMS so that (a) I can copy videos to the media storage by attaching an external USB hard drive to the laptop and (b) I can install a torrent client in the Ubuntu VM to download and save old TV shows to the media storage?
  4. PlexConnect only works on Python 2. Does Ubuntu 20.04.1 only come with Python 3? If so, can I install Python 2?

I havenā€™t really felt the need to move to 20.04 as 18.04 LTS works perfectly well. You could use 20.04, it will function the same to the best of my knowledge.

You could - I only use Docker as I like to install a new container when I update Plex to first make sure the new version doesnā€™t have any issue. If it functions well, I can easily delete the old container.

Best bet it is make a folder mount for your media storage. If you install PMS via docker, you can then point the PMS docker container to the folder mount. As en example, I have the following.

In the 1st Ubuntu VM I have something like this;
/home/kanga/media mounted for Plex media on a 1TB SSD
/home/kanga/transmission mounted for Transmission to download to a 2TB HDD

In the 2nd Ubuntu VM I have;
/home/kanga/shinobi mounted for Shinobi to save CCTV footage too on the same 2TB HDD as above.

Not sure as I donā€™t use PlexConnect. If you need Python2, perhaps using 18.04 LTS would be better, but I canā€™t say specifically which Python version it ships with.

Just used the guide to get running on an old i5 laptop with SSD (which I was running Ubuntu 18 / docker).
Iā€™m kinda getting there, but the whole system seems incredibly slow! Booting the VM takes a good 10 mins, and I have yet to get all my devices etc working again yet after an extremely slow restore.

Ant idea why things would be so slow? The fan is constantly running too - high temp. Could this be due to the CPU cores settings being misconfigured?

I have the CPU settings on Sockets:1, Cores:2, Type:Default(kvm64)

Hi ,

I am unable to connect using Putty (port 22) to the Hassossova-4.x VM over Proxmox that was installed as per the guide of post #1 :

=> Network error : Connection refused

I have deleted the VM created and re-installed again to confirm : The same problem exists.

Is it a known issue or juste me ?
Thank you

FIXED THIS ISSUE

I had KVM Hardware Virtualisation off. Switched this on in the BIOS, rebooted the machine (physically) and enabled KVM and things are much quicker!

2 Likes

Have you installed the SSH add-on in HA and configured it?

Yes the SSH add-on in HA is installed and configured and working .

But the SSH add_on log ( at start) shows that port 22 is closed

[17:08:26] INFO: Starting Web Terminal...
[2020/12/03 17:08:26:2760] N: ttyd 1.6.0-c15cfb7 (libwebsockets 3.2.2)
[2020/12/03 17:08:26:2764] N: tty configuration:
[2020/12/03 17:08:26:2767] N:   start command: tmux -u new -A -s homeassistant bash -l
[2020/12/03 17:08:26:2769] N:   close signal: SIGHUP (1)
[2020/12/03 17:08:26:2772] N:   terminal type: xterm-256color
[17:08:26] WARNING: SSH port is disabled. Prevent start of SSH server.

Donā€™t use port 22 for the addon as itā€™s already used for Proxmox or the host of the VM probably?

They have different IPs, so it doesnā€™t matter.

Yeah hence the question markā€¦ if running supervised the VM will be same IP if HA OS differentā€¦

1 Like

Thanks for your replies.

When continuying to search in the forum for " network error putty " , I can see there are many existing requests about this problem but unfortunately the answers do not help me .

I just tried to install Proxmox but the procedure stopped with the message ā€œno HD foundā€. I see my HD in Linux and NUC BIOS. So I am now test installing HA for NUC and it went smoothly. What I have missed? I would like to try the Proxmox installation again.

No idea. Without more specific details about your setup, the hardware you have used, itā€™s hard to tell.

In the meantime I installed HA (for NUC) on that particular drive. I intend to order a new HD and will try to install proxmox again following your valuable guide. Iā€™m not the only oneā€¦

Regards,

Just want to stop by to say: Thank you @kanga_who for this guide ! :pray:

Last weekend I migrated from an ubuntu docker ha supervised (unsupported) environment to a Proxmox install with a HassOS VM and a Ubuntu VM for the remaining docker containers.

Have a great weekend.

1 Like

Thanks @kanga_who.

Do you have a guide you can share for your Ubuntu VM with separate Docker for Plex and Transmission and folder mounts? I have very minimal knowledge of Ubuntu and zero on Docker so would appreciate a guide if available. Copying your setup might be a good way to learn.

1 Like