Installing Home Assistant OS using Proxmox 8

You need to assign the USB device to the VM, have you done this?

One other question I thought of for those of you using Proxmox - since Proxmox can handle backup/restore of VMs, are you still using Home Assistant snapshots or are you performing backups directly in Proxmox?

For the time it takes to spin up a new VM, I donā€™t bother with a VM backup myself, just HA.

2 Likes

Thanks for the help! Just trying to make sure Iā€™ve got all my bases covered, my Optiplex gets here from Ebay on Friday and I want to make sure Iā€™m ready to hit the ground running so I can ditch this Pi. :slight_smile:

1 Like

yes of course, otherwise it wouldnā€™t show me the firmware, right?

How much memory are folk seeing this method using? It looks quite high to me. All I have is an empty instance with the Samba addon installed.

My Pi Supervised system doesnā€™t use anything like as much and it has a whole stack of addons

Just wondering if I should try a Supervised VM as well before I transfer to Proxmox.

Mine was about the same with 8gb installed. I gave 2 gb per VM (3 VMs). As long as itā€™s running without issues, I wouldnā€™t be concerned. HA will run comfortably on 2gb.

It surprises me that it is taking 2.4GB and it is doing nothing at all.

How did you split this?

Select the VM, then select the Hardware tab, then Memory, and click edit at the top of that box.

Proxmox2

No I meant how did you split into 3 VMs?

Oh, sorry :man_facepalming: my bad.

Do you mean load another VM like Ubuntu?

1 Like

You implied you had split up your HA into 3 VMs. Iā€™ve created a couple of containers for Pi-Hole and Mosquitto (that is only using 25MiB! - a little bit more allocated) so Iā€™m happy how to do that.

What I want to split out is the InfluxDB addon as that is causing grief.

Sorry for the confusion, I was saying I split my system RAM out across the 3 separate VMā€™s.

Ah Ok :grin:.

@kanga_who - you can simplify the first parts of the instructions post Proxmox install to

sed -i 's/^\([^#].*\)/# \1/g' /etc/apt/sources.list.d/pve-enterprise.list

echo "deb http://download.proxmox.com/debian/pve buster pve-no-subscription" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/pve-no-subscription.list

apt update && apt dist-upgrade -y && apt autoremove --purge -y

This

• Comments out the enterprise repo with sed
  • Create a drop-in for the pve-no-subscription repository
  • Update (as you have)

It is always best practice to use a drop-in rather than edit the main .conf file. YMMV :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I remember thinking the same thing when I first setup with Proxmox but then I read a technical post somewhere regarding the way linux and vm display memory usage. Iā€™m going to butcher it, but essentially it said the memory usage displayed in the promox gui didnt reflect actual usage within the VM (cache, etc). While the memory was actually being reserved in the host system (my case a Nuc with 16gb of Ram), within the VM itself, there was likely a lot of ā€œavailableā€ memory. Comparing the Proxmox gui versus the HA systemmonitor, it appeared to true.

I allocated 4gb to my HA instance:

But HA reported a lot mor memory available:

I could never truly get my head around memory usage in Linux, but this felt right :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

Everything was going perfect until I get to step 3.7

3.7) If you have a Zigbee or Z-wave stick connected to the machine that you wish to use with Home Assistant, you can configure these now by clicking on USB Device then click on Edit in the bar just above. You can now choose the USB Zigbee or Z-wave device from the dropdown list, then click OK.

I donā€™t have a USB Device option. My zigbee2mqtt CC2531 USB stick is plunged in

Edit. I figured it out. You have to go up to Add and then select USB Device.

then Select Use Vendor/Device ID and select the correct device.

4 Likes

Hello, I tried this installs script on Proxmox with ZFS but somethingā€™s not working as Iā€™d expect. It asks me to choose between two different targets: local and local-zfs. All my other VMs and LXCs are in local-zfs so thatā€™s what I chose. But then this happens:

+ pvesm alloc local-zfs 124 vm-124-disk-0 128
command 'zfs create -s -V 1024k rpool/data/vm-124-disk-0' failed: got timeout

When I try to install in local (which is a dir) everything runs successfully. But the commands are quite different:

+ pvesm alloc local 118 vm-118-disk-0.qcow2 128
Formatting '/var/lib/vz/images/118/vm-118-disk-0.qcow2', fmt=qcow2 size=131072 cluster_size=65536 preallocation=metadata lazy_refcounts=off refcount_bits=16
successfully created 'local:118/vm-118-disk-0.qcow2'

Iā€™m not experienced in ZFS but from what I read I believe local is the right place to put my images and thatā€™s where all my VMs adnd LXCs are (as raw images, not qcow2). But Iā€™m at a loss trying to understand how to make it work.

Can anyone please shed some light on this?

Thanks!

Content deleted - incorrect information.

According to whom?