Installing Home Assistant OS using Proxmox 8

You need to disable the enterprise repo
Run the Proxmox VE 7 Post Install script from https://tteck.github.io/Proxmox/ and answer y to all questions

Also, you will want to ensure UEFI Boot & Virtualisation is enabled and Secure Boot is disabled in the bios of your machine.

2 Likes

Thank you very much

1 Like

Hi,

First of all thanks so much for this guide. I’m not sure I should have tried it as I don’t have any Linux experience but I’m always willing to give things to go! My aim is to have HA running as a VM in Proxmox. I’ve got as far as installing Proxmox on my Beelink PC (SE18 - i5, 8gb RAM, 256GB SSD) and am trying to install HA but get this error. Please can anyone help? TIA

Do not use Putty! Use the Proxmox shell.
https://github.com/tteck/Proxmox/issues/276

Thank you so much! That worked

1 Like

@kanga_who, I suggest to remove the reference for a putty install. If SSH is needed, the user can add it after the Home Assistant OS VM creation.
I’ve never had the need to SSH into my Proxmox server

1 Like

Thanks for the guide update :+1:

You can download a vanilla HA backup (ready to be restored onto your proxmox environment) here β†’ https://iotci.co.uk/home-assistant-proxmox-backup-restore/

Hope this helps, or at least speeds things up for some of us…

That’s a β€œpig in a poke” no thank you.

1 Like

Do you honestly think that this would be anything other than what I say it is when I place it on our company blog?

Regardless, it is there for those that need, I know that a lot of our clients have found this useful… but hey ho, each to their own, and I can understand why you wouldn’t want to use it…

Regardless, if you are using proxmox, I would then do the same steps once you have installed HA. Take a backup of the VM and store it somewhere safe. Also then take your backups within Home Assistant. That way, if you ever need to (for examples decrease disk size), then this is easier as you have a vanilla install ready to go onto which you can upload your backup…

So, a lot of your clients have the same mac address? Do they know that?

EDIT: What file system was used?

hi there, I am running Home Assistant on a Raspberry Pi 4 with an SD Card in a docker container. If I create HA on Proxmox as per the guideline above, will I be able to do a full backup from the current set up to the new set up and have all the custom components and add-ons listed?

If you are currently running HA OS and can take a snapshot/backup, you can restore to any other machine running HA OS.

Tried to install it twice with the script get the same error every time.

Fixed script :crossed_fingers: to use different storage types.
If you’d be so kind and try again.

1 Like

Awesome ill try again.

It installed no problems this time. Thanks for your quick help. Doing some testing moving from a TrueNAS Scale on bare medal to ProxMox running Scale and my VM’s that are finicky in Scale.

1 Like

I recently bought a mini PC with a Celeron N5105, installed Proxmox 7 and created a new HA installation using the excellent script posted here. Then imported my config from my rPi, connected my ZWave and RFXTRX USB key… all working fine.

However every 2 to 12 hours the VM would either reboot or hang (NMI, kthread, …). Proxmox and other LXC containers keep running fine. Nothing usable in the journald log, it literally just reboots.

Tested a lot of things and eventually installed a second HA instance with no config and no USB passed trough… which shows the same behavior sadly. Memtest on the mini PC passed.

Left it running today without a network cable attached and any USB device attached and it is still running after 12 hours…

Anyone ever had anything similar occur? Maybe the DNS issue mentioned earlier in this thread?

Edit: few hours later both VM rebooted themselves again (at separate times). The reboot is inside the VM, not on proxmox side. So basically a fresh install of HA OS 8.2 with no config, no devices and no network connected is not working :slight_smile:

Have you tried HAOS 7.6 to see if it works?
You can install it by running this script

bash -c "$(wget -qLO - https://github.com/tteck/Proxmox/raw/main/vm/haos_vm.sh)"

This may help determine if the problem is hardware or OS related

1 Like

Thanks! Trying that right now… in the meantime I switched my β€œvanilla” 8.2 install to 1 core and got my longest uptime so far.

Edit: 7.6 already died after a good hour, my VM with only one core still going 24+ hours. Anything related to proxmox / multiple cores I can check ? BIOS settings on the mini PC are the defaults.

Could also try running an older proxmox version or installing HA directly on the mini PC to observe the outcome, but the idea of buying this was to actually separate my AdGuard install from HA.