Installing Home Assistant OS using Proxmox 8

And that’s where I think my issue lies. I tried digging up some information on this problem and I found a few other people who had the same issue. The solutions given to all of them was to install over a preexisting debian install.

Well there is a conversion from Debian to Proxmox on the Proxmox website as well. My initial attempt with Proxmox was on the NUC actually (a real one I have) and it was a dismal failure- and I suspect that was because of afore mentioned BIOS settings as well. In the end I gave up on the Proxmox hope and did a supervised install on Debian with no VM’s and even though I have the XCY now that’s purely for playing and dev purposes… my main machine is the NUC/Debian/HA Supervised. Then I play with HA OS and Debian/HA Sup in different VM’s just for testing and playing.

(The failed attempts were a lockup on screen both with a clean install and also converting Debian to Proxmox… so bloody frustrating!!! Honestly not overly a Proxmox/VM fan anyway… too many gotchas)

Ok, thanks for that. I have supervised ha running on my raspberry pi4 currently and want to move it over to the mac mini. I think I might go that route instead since I am familiar with it. I think I’ll install debian on the mac mini and leave a 128GB partition for playing with proxmox.

2 Likes

Hello @kanga_who,
I have managed to install HA on Proxmox and is running well, haven’t transferred all my devices to it yet. I need to move my mqtt server to Proxmox before doing anything else.

I see that you are running most of them on Proxmox, are you running it under Docker in Proxmox?, Wouldn’t it add another layer of virtualization?

I use 3 VM’s. Nothing installed directly on the Proxmox OS.

1. HA OS
  2. Ubuntu 18.04, running Plex (docker), MQTT ( on OS), OVPN (docker), Portainer (docker).
  3. Ubuntu 20.04, running only Shinobi directly installed to the OS.

Performance is great, I have no issues.

There is nothing wrong with running a Docker based system on a VM, just not a docker in a docker :slight_smile:

Personally, I have an Ubuntu Container (lxc) in Proxmox on which I run Mosquitto - It is using 30MiB of memory right now. I’d rather run individual systems in containers inside Proxmox. Much like running Mosquitton inside a docker on a hardware OS.

Proxmox is installed on an old Laptop with 8GB of memory. Performance is great and I have a builtin UPS.

Hi ,

Concerning this step :

3.1) To run the install script, copy and paste the following command into the Putty window you have open. This will download an official image from the Home Assistant website and configure it in Proxmox for you. This will take 2-20mins depending on your internet connection and machine.

sudo bash -c "$(wget -qLO - https://github.com/whiskerz007/proxmox_hassos_install/raw/master/install.sh)"

Once this has finished, you will see [INFO] Completed Successfully! New VM ID is 100. When you can see this message in Putty, you can move over the Proxmox page to configure the VM.

Is it possible to upload an iso image of HA OS instead , because I have already a VM100 Debian10 installed in Proxmox and ready to use ( even it takes a lot of time to upload the Iso image ) ?

Thank you

HA will become VM101. The example provided was based on you installing the HA image before another VM.

Pardon my noobie question,
What is a lxc container?, I have installed Ubuntu using their Server Iso in to Proxmox, I guess this is not what you mean by lxc, will have to go googling and reading in the weekend :grinning:

As always with @kanga_who guides this one is flawless. Thanks!

I have a question though, is it possible to set a fixed IP for the VM created for HA from within Proxmox?

I have a slight problem in that my UniFi Controller is (HA addon) is now on a different IP to the actual ‘machine’.

I can revert back to my Ubuntu/HA install as I can just swap the old drive back but I’d really prefer to move to Proxmox.

The easiest thing to do is to give the Proxmox machine a different static IP using your router, and then give the IP you wish to use to the HA VM, again using a static from your router, then reboot the Proxmox machine.

You can get the MAC of the HA VM under HA VM Name ----> Hardware ----> Network Device from the Proxmox UI.

I had the same situation as you and that’s how I went about it, but there may be a more elegant solution.

1 Like

Yeah thanks but my problem is I don’t have access to my router because the UniFi controller is still configured for the old fixed IP address (192.168.1.25) whilst the new HA installation on the Proxmox VM is getting a DHCP address (192.168.1.175)

If you can’t assign an IP address to a VM from within Proxmox I’m going to have to reinstall the old drive and think of a way around this!

But your guide was great :wink:

Oh, sorry, I see. Try this. You can login to the HA console/shell from within the Proxmox UI.

1 Like

Thanks!

I’ll give that at try later this evening. I’ve already put the original disk drive back!

UPDATE
All went well. I’m now happily on Proxmox.
Thanks again.

1 Like

It is (kind of) another flavor of container. See https://linuxcontainers.org/
In simple terms, it is some sort of solution between docker (very light weight containers) and pure VM (very heavy container with full os and the all shebang).
LXC is something in between.
More separation than with docker between your different services and less heavy (CPU, OS) than VM.
I have pihole and mosquitto in LXCs.
And HA (the docker version) in a VM.
GV

Good to hear, glad that worked for you.

Does anyone have any issue updating the base operating system for a HA install using this method?

Tried to update operating system from 4.11 to 4.12, but the vm will

1. Update
  2. Works for a few minutes
  3. Lock up

Everything works fine on 4.11, which is what came originally with the image.

I have a minimal system (doesn’t actually do anything) running on 4.12 fine.

I recently had an issue after the update to 4.12, I had to delete the home-assistant data-base file. Once that was done, my system was running fine again.
Not sure whether this had anything to do with the update to 4.12.

Hi All,

I followed the guide to install proxmox and home assistant on an old laptop and every thin went fine. Thanks for that.

I want to migrate my ubuntu server -> docker install to proxmox. The snapshot taken on the ubuntu machine won’t restore on the proxmox machine

For testing I made a snap shot on my promox install. Installed some new addons. Then I tried to restore the snapshot and nothing happens.

This is the page after hitting the restore button

nothing happens for a very long time.

I can reconnect to my home assistant and I can see it is the same as it was before (there was no restore) there is also nothing in the logs about a failed restore.

Tried “Restore”, “Wipe and restore”. Tried it with and without home assistant selected but no difference.

When I hit the resort button I see a brief spike in my CPU usage (from 10% to 40%) for a few seconds.

this is my proxmox configuration

I also tried the install of juanmtech with the same problem.

Any advice will be appreciated.