Installing Home Assistant Supervised using Debian 12

I think supervisor is not starting at all this time. Folks are beginning to notice in other threads too, how can we add this to the HA alarms for people to know?
If you ever decide to restart, check your journalctl logs, mine were flooded with docker and various errors, which went away when I downgraded docker. This happens with both latest stable and beta supervisor.

Already reported as a issue ( hassio-supervisor fails to start and attach to an not running hassio_supervisor · Issue #2642 · home-assistant/supervisor (github.com)) and it seems to be pointing to a upstream issue on docker, other have reported issues with latest version in other projects
docker 20.10.4 on linux and windows breaks docker-compose run -T · Issue #42093 · moby/moby (github.com)

2 Likes

totaly flabberghasted right now.

a few weeks ago i installed a debian 10 server , and also installed hassio-supervised.

since a reboot and some network card issues my home assistant doesnt work anymore.

network issues have been fixed for the native site on the server, but i’m not familair with docker containers, so troubleshooting this is a pain in the …

who can help me out here. because the things i searched for, dont bring up hassio.

Downgrading docker did the trick for me. Remember to unhold the the packages after the issues has been fixed in HA. Otherwise docker won’t be upgraded in the future.

sudo apt remove docker-ce docker-ce-rootless-extras docker-ce-cli
sudo apt autoremove --purge -y
sudo reboot

sudo apt install docker-ce=5:20.10.3~3-0~debian-buster docker-ce-rootless-extras=5:20.10.3~3-0~debian-buster docker-ce-cli=5:20.10.3~3-0~debian-buster
sudo apt-mark hold docker-ce docker-ce-rootless-extras docker-ce-cli
sudo reboot
4 Likes

Seems the docker issue has identified it’s only the docker-cli that is a problem.

I was unable to update supervisor this morning and then supervisor wont auto restart and when it then starts says my system is in an unhealthy state so I’m going to try reverting cli only.

Reverting docker-cli and supervisor immediately self updated, unhealthy state gone again and HA updates. Transcript of session:

david@debian:~$ sudo apt install docker-ce-cli=5:20.10.3~3-0~debian-buster
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following packages will be DOWNGRADED:
  docker-ce-cli
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 downgraded, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 41.4 MB of archives.
After this operation, 3,072 B disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] Y
Get:1 https://download.docker.com/linux/debian buster/stable amd64 docker-ce-cli amd64 5:20.10.3~3-0~debian-buster [41.4 MB]
Fetched 41.4 MB in 12s (3,523 kB/s)
dpkg: warning: downgrading docker-ce-cli from 5:20.10.4~3-0~debian-buster to 5:20.10.3~3-0~debian-buster
(Reading database ... 91925 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../docker-ce-cli_5%3a20.10.3~3-0~debian-buster_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking docker-ce-cli (5:20.10.3~3-0~debian-buster) over (5:20.10.4~3-0~debian-buster) ...
Setting up docker-ce-cli (5:20.10.3~3-0~debian-buster) ...
Processing triggers for man-db (2.8.5-2) ...
Scanning processes...
Scanning candidates...
Scanning linux images...

Running kernel seems to be up-to-date.

Failed to check for processor microcode upgrades.

Restarting services...
 systemctl restart hassio-supervisor.service

No containers need to be restarted.

User sessions running outdated binaries:
 david @ user manager service: systemd[22601]
david@debian:~$ sudo apt-mark hold docker-ce-cli
docker-ce-cli set on hold.

That worked for me, too. I just ran sudo apt install docker-ce-cli=5:20.10.3~3-0~debian-buster and then restarted for good measure, and it’s all back to normal.

I’m still on docker 20.10.3.
Does the new supervisor fix this?

I’m on the latest I can see 2021.02.11

New docker 20.10.5… installing…
All is well

3 Likes

Thank you for the info, David.

sudo apt-mark unhold docker-ce docker-ce-cli containerd.io
sudo apt update && apt upgrade -y && apt autoremove

updates docker to 20.10.5.

It even survives a system reboot :wink:

2 Likes

Yeah. As usual I didn’t reboot but all is working perfectly.

What about the docker-cli? Do we also unhold it? I read in previous posts that this was the problem after all. On which version are you on?

It’s obvious if you read the post you quoted.

1 Like

It’s obvious to unhold it, it’s not obvious if the (new or existing?) version of cli has stopped creating problems.

On my side the new docker-version has stopped creating problems. All is back to normal. Now running:

docker-ce | 5:20.10.5~3-0~debian-buster
docker-ce-cli | 5:20.10.5~3-0~debian-buster
containerd.io |    1.4.3-1

To get there is fairly trivial. Open the CLI, unhold above packages (if you have set them on hold after after going back to <= docker 5:20.10.3) by running:

sudo apt-mark unhold docker-ce docker-ce-cli containerd.io

and thereafter:

sudo apt update && apt upgrade -y && apt autoremove

and you should be good.

HA is running on Docker 20.10.5 without any hiccups here.

2 Likes

Ok, thanks a lot, I’ll give it a try now. Hope it holds after reboot.

Confirm, that fixed in new docker version.

Out of curiosity, where exactly can I see the latest version of docker-ce, the changelogs etc.? Here https://github.com/docker/docker-ce/releases and here https://docs.docker.com/engine/release-notes/ seem to follow a different versioning and I can’t locate something better for our HA installations.

Edit: I think I found it here https://github.com/docker/cli/releases but with no changelogs etc.

The latest havnt be published yet, but you can see commit for 20.10.5 here

docker.github.io/index.md at master · docker/docker.github.io

Client

Hmm,

I got a problem after I want to upgrade to supervisor version 2021.03.3:

[supervisor.core] Update '2021.02.11' of Supervisor '2021.03.3' failed!