Installing Home Assistant Supervised using Debian 12

Anyone figured how to enable UART on debian 10 - Supervised on raspberry 4?

This is not the guide for Raspi 4. Check here for Debian on a Pi, but to the best of my knowledge, you need to run Raspberry Pi OS, which is unsupported.

1 Like

thanks. and sorry for offtopic.

Can anyone help me with the error “missing docker”? I have install the Hassio with the tutorial in post 1

I use Debian 10 on Proxmox

Out of curiousity, why are you following these instructions rather than:

Because Proxmox is a hypervisor and Linux is just a Linux distro in its own right? Why shouldn’t that work with it? It would be the same if I installed the Linux distro on a normal computer.

are you trying to install on a debian lxc under Proxmox …or are you trying to install on a Debian system with proxmox added and running under debian?

Hi,
please can somebody point me to the right direction?
I have installed the supervised version on Raspberry Pi 4 using https://github.com/home-assistant/supervised-installer but some of my containers keep restarting forever:

920ddf0ef49e   homeassistant/aarch64-hassio-dns:2021.01.0               "/init"                  21 seconds ago   Exited (159) 19 seconds ago                                              hassio_dns
4db05ca8b647   homeassistant/aarch64-hassio-observer:2020.10.1          "/init"                  24 seconds ago   Restarting (159) 1 second ago                                            hassio_observer
20b2cd234254   homeassistant/aarch64-hassio-cli:2020.11.1               "/init /bin/bash -c …"   28 seconds ago   Exited (159) 27 seconds ago                                              hassio_cli
fad7cedd7736   homeassistant/aarch64-hassio-multicast:3                 "/init"                  33 seconds ago   Exited (159) 32 seconds ago                                              hassio_multicast

This results in DNS problems that cripple the functionality. Any idea what might be wrong?
The logs are not very informative, it’s just “Watchdog detected problem with DNS/multicast/…”

Its a Debian VM on Proxmox

I have RasbP 4 to run homeassis. sometimes i need try some configuration on homeassistant and everyone know had some risks for trying somethings on hassi.
I had old toshiba laptop, working with raspbian smoothly.
How can i run home assistant supervisor in laptop… Here my system working in laptop.
System:
Host: raspberry Kernel: 4.19.0-8-686-pae i686 bits: 32
Desktop: LXDE 0.10.0 Distro: Debian GNU/Linux 10 (buster)

Is there a way to run home assistant with this laptop… I tried somethings except virtual machine, all fail… Thanks

Has anyone upgraded docker to 20.10.3~3 yet?

Yes yesterday. All good.

1 Like

Hello,
I followed this tutorial, thank you to everyone who contributed.
I have a Debian 10 VM on a Synology NAS, 2 processors, 2 GB of RAM. Home assistant (core) startup and restart time seems very long to me. It is at least 5 minutes in the best case, more often around 15 to 20 minutes. I created another post to ask if this time was normal and I was told no, with restart times <1 min.
What could this be due to?
Thank you

I could only run i2c using raspi-config

This guide is an excellent resource, thanks for writing this.
I have managed to install this on my old laptop after getting tired of SDCard issues on my RPi3, but after running it for a day or so, I am noticing really high CPU usage, averaging 50%! I tried to look at the host system processes using “top” and Node/npm were standing out at running frequently at >100%.
I am not sure what it was for, tried removing and stopping few addons, but I do not see any improvements. Anyone else observing this.

Update: I stopped all addons and now the CPU is hovering around 3-5% mark. I guess I will have to go by process of elimination to find out the culprit, unless someone has a smarter way to find it out

So Home Assistant Supervised on Debian 10 has been humming along ok for just over a month now. I’ve still got a handful of zwave/zigbee devices to add to the existing 50 or so of each, and then some automations/scripts to do.

Right now - the PC is an i5-2500 with 8G/ram.

Do I need to upgrade this PC to a more powerful one, or add ram? Or is what I have good enough for whatever I want to do with HA.

Unless you’re running something else, an i5 w/8GB RAM is seriously overkill for Home Assistant. You’re good. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I set this up yesterday, works well. How do I present an attached USB drive to media folder ? this link https://www.home-assistant.io/more-info/local-media/setup-media suggest editing the docker run command to include the path to the where the drive is mounted but I don’t see where docker run is getting executed. Thanks

Hi,

Thanks for this very good tutorial. I want to disable my router DCHP so I have to set HA address manually. Where and how should I do that? At HA supervisor menu or from Debian console?

Thank you

You don’t disable DHCP on your router you give HA a reserved address on your router using it’s MAC address. Google how to do it on your router model. It’s quite an easy thing to do.