Installing Home Assistant Supervised using Debian 12

I did have the local australian mirrors as the sources, so have overwritten them to match just in case.

run the update and get the followign error

All packages are up to date.
N: Skipping acquire of configured file ‘stable/binary-i386/Packages’ as repository ‘https://download.docker.com/linux/debian buster InRelease’ doesn’t support architecture ‘i386’

Seems your CPU is 32bit (i386) only. Needs to be x64.

That can’t be it it’s a i5-3470T which is 64 bit.

Looking into this deeper, the i5-3470 can run 32 and 64 bit operating modes but isn’t a 64 bit architecture, so won’t run 64 bit applications.

Royal PITA. Appreciate the patience and assistance all.

The i5-3470 runs 64 bit applications (and operating systems) just fine. That’s not your problem.

I have used the following a number of times in the past few weeks and it works.

https://mathesonsteplock.ca/install-home-assistant-supervised-on-debian/

I am running Debian 10.9

What would suggest is the problem then? The error shown references, “doesn’t support architecture ‘i386’”. I’m not the most au fait with these sorts of errors, however my understanding is that the Docker script is looking for a x64 CPU and can not find one.

Which uses the same Docker and Supervised install script referenced in this guide. I’m not sure how this helps.

Have you checked the bios to see if you have a setting to enable x64 possibly?

Full disclosure I totally screwed up and downloaded the 32bit iso image for debian.

Went back and retraced my steps and downloaded the x64 debian iso and all is well with the world.

Apologies and thanks for all the help. I feel like a real moron right now.

3 Likes

Don’t worry mate - we have all been there done that. Great learning experience though!

You learn far more from your mistakes than your successes. I’ve learned a lot over the years :slight_smile:

Hey Guys,
I am struggling to install docker on my QNAP NAS. I installed Debian 10.9 and no matter what I do I got the following error:
E: Package ‘docker-ce’ has no installation candidate

Any suggestions?

See my error a few posts up, sounds similar. Of cpu isn’t 64 bit capable or U are loading 32 bit debian you will definitely get his error.

You might be better off looking at a QNAP guide.

I see there is a Docker update to 5.20.10.6.3 version (debian buster arm64 here). After the recent problems with all Docker updates I’m a little bit hesitant to upgrade. Has anyone done that?

1 Like

no problems here with 6.3…home assistant with several supervisor addons, portainer, pihole, mealie containers running fine.

Have you rebooted the host?

docker version:

Client: Docker Engine - Community
 Version:           20.10.6
 API version:       1.41
 Go version:        go1.13.15
 Git commit:        370c289
 Built:             Fri Apr  9 22:46:45 2021
 OS/Arch:           linux/amd64
 Context:           default
 Experimental:      true

Server: Docker Engine - Community
 Engine:
  Version:          20.10.6
  API version:      1.41 (minimum version 1.12)
  Go version:       go1.13.15
  Git commit:       8728dd2
  Built:            Fri Apr  9 22:44:56 2021
  OS/Arch:          linux/amd64
  Experimental:     false
 containerd:
  Version:          1.4.4
  GitCommit:        05f951a3781f4f2c1911b05e61c160e9c30eaa8e
 runc:
  Version:          1.0.0-rc93
  GitCommit:        12644e614e25b05da6fd08a38ffa0cfe1903fdec
 docker-init:
  Version:          0.19.0
  GitCommit:        de40ad0

Of course, just because the update acted transparently for me, doesn’t mean that you’ll have the same experience. If you are a bleeding edge person like me, update…if not, wait a few days.

Just updated and rebooted, everything’s working fine. :slight_smile:

Followed the instructions with this result:

[info] Install supervisor Docker container
invalid reference format

How can this be fixed

What machine are you using?

Nevermind, I went to Virtualbox as it is meant to be an installation for testing purposes only.