Installing Home Assistant Supervised using Debian 12

This will work.

Depending on the choice you made when installing the OS (Debian), you might have a user ā€˜rootā€™ with its password, or you might have created a new user with its password.

Frustrating!! :slight_smile: I keep every login/password I have in a password manager, but I only have the (apparently incorrect) single one for this. Grrr.

have you tried user: root ? As a rule of thumb, i find itā€™s almost always easier to just reinstall and use a backup then wasting time looking for a solution for these types of problems. I keep google backups using the addinā€¦so restore is easy.

Just tried it - no good. Also tried it with a password - no good.

I, too, use the addin for Google Backups - Iā€™m just, of course, paranoid that a new install wonā€™t restore.

2 Likes

Thanks! LOL I got as far as trying to type this: :/# mount -n -o remount,rw / after the cntrl-x,

aaaaand nothing. USB keyboard wouldnā€™t work.

From searching - looks like Iā€™ll have to try different USB ports, maybe a different keyboard. I donā€™t HAVE one of the old style keyboards anymore, and I donā€™t think the PC even has a port for it! :slight_smile:

Try to make VM without UEFI. This helps me a lot.

you may need a wired keyboard (connects to USB port).

Heh, sorry I wasnā€™t clear - I have a wired USB keyboard, but I have read to try different USB ports.

Hello!

Anyone figured out an script to install and keep OS Agent updated? I just had to install it for the first time after an supervisor update:

Iā€™m wondering if thereā€™s another way other than manually installing every time thereā€™s a new release because unfortunately I donā€™t have the option to install HA OS (for now) and would like to keep my installation supported with minimal interaction (monthly updates via command in the guide).

I am running Debian 10 - how do you install this package ?

Is it possible to get an user guide how to upgrade from existing Debian 10 supervised install?

Thank you

I am trying to install os-agent - but when I use Terminal or Putty, it does not find dpkg (or even apt-get) ? Do I miss something ?

Chris

You need to run it on the host not in the ssh addon (which runs inside a container)

David,

Thx! Ofcourse stupid of me, I have HA running in my basement in a rack and do everything remotelyā€¦

Chris

So do Iā€¦ Just make sure the addon and/or the ssh server on the host arenā€™t both trying to use the same port (22) and you can then connect to the host or the container depending on what you are doing.

Is there a guide available explaining upgrading from Debian 10 to Debian 11 (on Intel HW not RPI ) ?
Is there an easy way to upgrade from Debian 10 to Debian 11 or should I start from scratch and start with a fresh install ?

I know @Tamsy wrote an excellent upgrade directions on another forum. I could not link to it using my phone. It was for the pi 4 and I would think it would work for other install methods as well. Try to find the thread and ask @Tamsy he is excellent and very helpful! Hopefully he would know whether it would work for your hardware.

1 Like

I found the info of @Tamsy, but as you mentioned it was for the RPI, I was looking for a guide for intel hw. If I find nothing Iā€™ll look into the rpi4 version in detail and/or ask @Tamsy for some help/explanations ā€¦