Installing Home Assistant Supervised using Debian 12

This guide is for Debian 11, Ubuntu is unsupported - you have already been told this in your other post.

Okey, mean this, that I can not run Ubuntu anymore or?

Correct, you can not use Ubuntu, it is unsupported.

Isnā€™t Ubuntu and Debian allmost the same?

Almost, but not the same.

This isnā€™t new information, it was announced over a year ago.

Ubuntu is not supported.

You can only use Debian for a Supervised installation.

Okey, I have to change to Debian then and see if it goes better

Hi all, Iā€™ve managed to install HA on Debian on an old HP laptop (Intel i5).
So far so good, everything works good, no errors whatsoever.

Only thing that doesnā€™t seem to work like it should is HACS. Installed it, no problems. Added custom repos, no problem. But adding them via Integrations, nothing.

Example, Iā€™m trying to add the Tuya V2. Itā€™s added/instelled in HACS but doesnā€™t appear in the Integrations list in HA.
Same for Frigate.

Previous wasnā€™t an issue on my RPi.
Any idea if this is related to the Debian install?

Have you tried clearing your browser cache? CTRL + F5 should help. Also make sure you restart HA after installing new components.

Oh my ā€¦ Iā€™ve been looking everywhere for a solution, except the obvious oneā€¦cacheā€¦
How could I be so stupid :man_facepalming:
Tnx :joy:

2 Likes

Just want to say thanks again to @kanga_who for the awesome guide. Iā€™ve come back here to see how to install the OS agent having upgraded from 10 to 11 (following the original Debian 10 version of this guide). Iā€™ve upgraded to 11 and added the OS agent, so now fully supported once more.

It might be worth including this guide on how to upgrade from 10 to 11, for those that had already installed on 10, it worked flawlessly for me.

3 Likes

I havenā€™t been able to find a clear answer to this, but would I potentially break anything if I upgraded from Raspbian Buster to Debian Bullseye?

1 Like

Good question.

Worked for me perfectly!
Only second command dpkg required root.

I just realized I too was running an unsupported installation because of the Debian 10 install I did when I followed the original tutorial. Glad I came back too this thread.

Did you perform a Debian backup before the upgrade? If so how did you do this? I just upgraded my Core HA and always perform a manual backup so if the Debian upgrade goes south I can always start from scratch using the guide.

1 Like

No, I bravely (foolishly) just went for it.

Thanks for this post

Hello,

following the instructions and everything worked down to installing os-agent

i keep getting the error when trying to install
sudo dpkg -i os-agent_1.2.2_linux_x86_64.deb
results in
dpkg: error: os-agent_1.2.2_linux_x86_64.deb is not a debian format archive

what am i missing

You havenā€™t downloaded the package properlyā€¦

Hello @DavidFW1960

i may be stupid, ignorant or just clumsy.

I followed all the instruction and installed HA supervised on debian 10 and now upgraded to 11. all seem to be working fine thanks to your help and your patience.

however in the supervisor system i show that supervisor is running on an unsupported installation. How come? as i said its running fine just nit-picking.

I am having stupid problems with debian. (which i have posted on the debian forum)

may i suggest that HA supervisor be ported to a virtual box that i could run on ubuntu windows or true nas.

thank you

If you click on the ā€˜unsupportedā€™, you see the reason why.