Installing Home Assistant Supervised using Debian 12

This worked out great! Thanks!

I would also like to know this.

I’ve followed and set up my NUC based on this guide and thought everything was working OK.
The NWS forecast seems to be valid and up to date, but I do see this error in my logs (repeated multiple times):

2020-09-02 23:05:35 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.nws] Error requesting NWS forecast hourly station KHIO data: 500, message=‘Internal Server Error’, url=URL(‘https://api.weather.gov/gridpoints/PQR/106,101/forecast/hourly’)

The URL appears to be working fine in the browser, so would this be due to a docker networking/configuration issue?

Any help would be appreciated.

Did that (docker lines) and after a docker and core restart, it still says unsupported. I get this in the supervisor log:

20-09-10 03:29:33 ERROR (MainThread) [supervisor.core] Detected unsupported OS: Raspbian GNU/Linux 10 (buster)
20-09-10 03:29:33 INFO (MainThread) [__main__] Run Supervisor
20-09-10 03:29:33 INFO (MainThread) [supervisor.api] Start API on 172.30.32.2
20-09-10 03:29:33 CRITICAL (MainThread) [supervisor.core] System running in a unsupported environment!

:frowning:

Because Raspberry Pi OS (Raspbian) isn’t supported.

Mine also now shows unsupported again because I have watchtower installed which has nothing to do with and doesnt affect Home Assistant in any way…

Make sense. I thought it was the reason I haven’t seen an update in a while but checked and I’m at 114,4 which is the latest released version. So all is good I guess…

Watchtower has broken plenty of installs. It has caused supervisor loops, and users often have it set to update to “latest” when they shouldn’t. The Supervisor manages and updates the ecosystem. Bumping it out with watchtower or portainer causes issues (for users who don’t know better).

Well yes but watchtower does not touch any of my HA containers at all… it only manages non HA stuff. (at least on my system)
Docker-compose.yml

watchtower:
    container_name: watchtower
    restart: unless-stopped
    image: v2tec/watchtower 
    volumes:
      - /var/run/docker.sock:/var/run/docker.sock
    command: sabnzbd sonarr radarr lazylibrarian portainer ha_dockermon --interval 300
1 Like

So use Unattended-Upgrade::Package-Blacklist {...}; in the config and move on? The other issue I can see is docker not being restarted by dpkg (?) (https://superuser.com/questions/1538525/ubuntu-unattended-upgrades-stops-docker) which should be solveable by having Restart=always in the service files that you care about. Yes, caution is good, overreaction (leading to security vulnerabilities) isn’t

Why hddtemp sensor isn’t working on debian ?

Why does it matter if it shows as unsupported if you know what you’re doing?

It doesn’t of course however, the crash-report send option is also gone because of this so theres that.

Sorry, I have installed everything as indicated under “Installing Home Assistant Supervised on Debian 10”. The installation runs fine … but it doesn’t work to install the VNC-server like the “normal RaspberryOS” under Raspi-Config. I select the option there, but when I try to access it with the VNC viewer, I get the following message: "The connection was rejected by the computer.
What can I do to get a working VNC connection?

You do need to configure VNC to make it work. It doesn’t work OOTB. It’s a fairly simple config from memory. Or maybe I’m thinking of Raspbian… With Debian you would need to add the package.

1 Like

I did this: https://serwerweb.pl/en/2019/11/05/instalacja-serwera-vnc-na-debianie-10/

1 Like

Thank you very much, that made it work.

Great tutorial OP!

I mostly came here for the last steps re. the install script. I noticed you are pointing to your own install script instead of the official one. Are there any major differences I should be aware of before running yours?

Had a quick look at it in a compare tool but can’t see too many major differences, mostly cleanup and cosmetic fixes.

No differences, I forked the script a while back when the deprecation had been announced. I keep it up to date with the main version.

Used the script to recover my ‘hass.io’ install in Docker on Debian 10 Buster tonight.
THANK YOU, @kanga_who, @nickrout, and EVERYONE else who contributed to this thread.
Now, does anyone happen to know the docker command hassio-supervisor uses to start the homeassistant container? I need to update it to add mounts for /media, but alas, can’t find it anywhere (yet, at this late hour US/EST). Additional thanks in advance for anyone who can help.