Installing Home Assistant Supervised on Ubuntu 18.04.4

Thanks you so much for this tutorial. the installation was so easy on my surface pro 3 running Ubuntu server 18.04 :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray:

Just a small typo (that I would correct myself but I’m not permitted to edit the topic’s title) but it’s 18.04.4 not 18.04.04

Screenshot from 2020-06-24 21-35-52

1 Like

I just noticed a couple of days ago that my title editing privileges were removed too.

That must have been changed during the last forum maintenance session last week. Not that I’ve used it much but I was going to change one and noticed it wasn’t there.

Yeah, I used to have some sort of wiki status and could convert others posts to a wiki to edit, but that has been removed. Probably just because I’m an ass though. :wink:

Thank you, I have updated accordingly.

1 Like

Hi All,

Thanks for a great tutorial. I’ve followed the instructions and got HA working on an old machine I have here.
One thing I would like to do is map a USB port to be able to use Zigbee, what is the best way to do this? I see over in the Home Assistant Container tutorial they use a docker-compose.yaml file.
I can’t understand how this guide starts the docker machines, I see the install script uses “systemctl start hassio-supervisor.service” but can’t figure out what happens from there?

On the assumption that “hassio-supervisor” triggers everything else, I’ve run the command

sudo systemctl disable hassio-supervisor

I’ve also looked at Portainer to confirm that restart policy for hassio_supervisor is set to none.

So I am a bit of a loss as to how it is restarting on reboot?

Thanks

Ian

1 Like

See if this works for you.

Thank you, I’ll have a play.

Just installed Home Assistant Supervised on a dietpi system using these instructions. Everything seems to be working except the automation editor. I do not have drop downs for anything but the Devices. If I select Call Service, no drop down exists and I have to edit via yaml. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hey great tutorial! I just finished my install, but I don’t see the supervisor panel. I think my defunct core install is overriding the config.

2 Questions:
If I want to start over with a clean install with your tutorial, do I delete my config files and run something again?

How do I stop/restart/manage the containers? Is that what portainer is for?

I don’t see the addon store or anything. Am I supposed to?

Thanks again!

everything ok up until ‘curl -sL “https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Kanga-Who/home-assistant/master/supervised-installer.sh” | bash -s’. I get no output and a quick return to the prompt. after I changed the command into ‘curl -L “https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Kanga-Who/home-assistant/master/supervised-installer.sh” | bash -s’ to get eventual errors I get:
% Total % Received % Xferd Average Speed Time Time Time Current
Dload Upload Total Spent Left Speed
0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 --:–:-- 0:00:02 --:–:-- 0curl: (7) Failed to connect to raw.githubusercontent.com port 443: Connection refused

I searched the internet for a couple of hours but could not find a solution or even what could cause this problem.

So I hope somebody here can help me with a solution or workaround.

If you paste the URL into your browser, it will display the contents of the installer script.

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Kanga-Who/home-assistant/master/supervised-installer.sh

You could just copy the contents into a local file, change the file’s permissions to make it executable, then run it.

Thx! Unfortunately I get then get the following:
Error response from daemon: Get https://registry-1.docker.io/v2/: dial tcp 107.23.149.57:443: connect: connection refused

1 Like

Are you getting that message during the initial execution of the installer script or at the end when it attempts to start Home Assistant?

I’m asking because, if you review the installer script, there’s no reference to “dial”. Perhaps the error occurs when Home Assistant starts and then detects that there’s something wrong with the installation, possibility a missing prerequisite.

I found a simple solution in the end: How are USB ports mapped? - #13 by 123

Hey all. I’m one of those noobs with docker. I’m trying to move my setup from pi to an nuc with Ubuntu and docker. Upon installing hassio supervised and trying to restore my backup, I can no longer access home Assistant. The webpage is blank and says it cannot load. I’ve tried removing the containers and reinstalling hassio and even used different backups but none of them successfully restore.

What version were you coming from on the Pi? Did you check breaking/version changes between your backup and the current install if the versions are different?

You can also extract your backup .tar file and access all of your .yaml files and copy/paste them to the new install, then reboot. Doing this won’t restore your add-ons, but you it will get you up and running and you can then re-install the add-ons once you know you have a working config.

There is nothing in the world of Home Assistant called “hassio supervised”. It’s called Home Assistant Supervised.

The term hassio is not only deprecated it was never qualified with the word “supervised”. To avoid confusion, it’s best to use the correct terminology and not invent new ones.

Just followed the installation tutorial and everything worked great except during the installation I somehow lost resolv.conf file and now I don’t have any DNS servers specified and so I cannot connect to any domain. The error when pinging is “ping: google.com: Temporary failure in name resolution”.
Do you have any suggestions on how to fix this?

I’m confused about this comment:

:warning: Please keep in mind that currently this installation method is not officially supported by the Home Assistant team, and therefore you are responsible for updating and managing updates and security on the base OS and no official support will be offered. This install method may cease to work at any time, so use at your own risk

According to the last blog post Home Assistant Supervised on Linux was one of the 4 supported installation methods.

Is there a different official guide for that or is that an old comment that needs to be updated?

Ubuntu is not a supported OS, making this installation method “officially” unsupported. You could follow the Debian guide that is also in the Community Guides section.

To stay officially supported, you must maintain a completely vanilla install of Debian 10, meaning no other software can be installed to the OS.