Installing Home Assistant OS using Proxmox 8

You can fork it and do with it what you like.

You can use the script from mochman’s forked repo until the fix is merged.

bash -c "$(wget -qLO - https://github.com/mochman/proxmox_hassos_install/raw/master/install.sh)"

I’ve already updated the script in the OP with the changes

1 Like

hello, thank you for this script. I tried to install it and it worked. But i’m stuck on assingnig an ip to my VM.

I’m using proxmox on a sigle nic computer, and dhcp requests are not passing to the VM’s via vmbr0. But i have another linux vm with a static ip that is working great.

With HA OS i’m stuck in the ha console, trying with the “network update --ipv4-method static” commands and nothing works. it stays on “disabled”

could someone help me ?

Thank you.

Hi nbdriver,
I am no expert can try to set fixed IP address in home assistant. Go to “Supervisor - System - IP Address Change” Change the IP Address to Static.
Paul

:slight_smile:

is it safe to update to Proxmox 7 ?? With only a HA container?

I’d run the small checklist program named pve6to7 which is included in the latest Proxmox VE 6.4 packages. The program will provide hints and warnings about potential issues before, during and after the upgrade process. You can call it by executing: pve6to7 --full in the proxmox shell.

1 Like

Hi @kanga_who, I reinstalled my Proxmox and use this guide for the 2nd time now, so tnnx again!

I noticed Proxmox 7.0-1 is out now and it’s Debian 11. The guide works good with the buster repositories, but I think it should be upgraded to the bullseye repositories. I tried to change buster to bullseye, but that didn’t work… I don’t have much linux knowledge, so I have no idea what to do else.

Also the iso burning with BalenaEtcher didn’t work. I used Rufus and chose DD mode to write the iso to the usb drive. Not sure if everyone got this error with the new Proxmox, so it is good to try out.

Just for shits and giggles (mostly) I upgraded my Proxmox to use version 7 which also upgraded the base proxmox to Bullseye today and it all went smoothly and works perfectly.
As a masochist, I also created a new VM and installed HA supervised on Debian Bullseye as well and it works fine but unsupported (not unhealthy) as it’s Debian Bullseye - expected. But it’s working fine.

1 Like

Just got an HP T620 thin client and installed a fresh install of Proxmox 7.0-8
I install Home Assistant with the provided script. If i try to start the VM, the console tells me:
Waiting for the Home assistant CLI to be ready
Cannot connect to the docker…

After 20 minutes: it’s goes to emergency mode.

I tried Proxmox 7 and had issues. I’d suggest installing 6.4 for now.
I figured I’d let version 7 mature a little more before jumping on board.

I’m gonna try Proxmox 6.4. Thanks

Edit: Total new Proxnox 6.4 install. No difference. No network activity. Nothing…

After a fresh 6.4 install, make sure you update Proxmox (6.4.13)

I’m running 6.4.13
It’s just not installing Home assistant. There is not a single network activity

How are you installing HA? script?

Have you made sure you have Virtualization enabled in the Bios of the machine?

Ok. That may be the problem because I had to disable kvm virtualization in Proxmox. I can’t find any virtualization options in mij t620 bios.
@kanga_who EDIT It works! Thanks!

1 Like

Any advice for freeing up local-lvm storage on an SSD when using this guide for install?

Asked this in another thread, but I’m not finding a way to prevent my device from filling up. I’ve already offloaded the database, but I’m concerned what will happen next month.

How many snapshots are your storing locally? If you have more than 1 on the device itself, that is probably too many. I would recommend using the Google Drive Backup add-on to store your snapshots.

The only other thing that creates a large amount of data is the database, so if you’ve moved it to another drive, you should be fine. You can also limit the size of the database to prevent huge db files. If you need some help with how to configure this, I can post my config. My db sits around 2gb at all times.