Is it local or is it cloud?

Just back on HA after a year’s break. In the intervening time, I got a Smartthings hub and have integrated everything in the house with that. A massive internet outage a couple of weeks ago pushed me to look at HA again but I have a (probably) daft question…

I’ve got Smartthings configured and I’ve just installed Node-RED. How much is running locally and how much is running is reliant on the cloud?

SmartThings as is, is cloud based. The integration of SmartThings into HA is for itself not cloud based, but it needs internet connection to get data from SmartThings. NodeRed is as well not reliant on the cloud.

So you are unfortunately at the same point as before. Without internet access, no access to the SmartThings cloud…it doesn’t matter if the ST hub is asking or HA…

1 Like

Thanks for that. So, I guess the question is how do I make everything local?

I have a USB Zigbee adapter but I can’t work out how to make that work with HA. I assume that’s the route to go down and put the ST hub in a drawer somewhere.

IMHO being purely local is the base idea behind HA. :slight_smile:

If you have a ZigBee stick, it is not very complicated to get that running. Are you running Hass.io? If so, you only need to activate two add-ons:

• mosquitto mqtt broker
  • zigbee2mqtt
  • zigbee2mqttassistant (optional)

Otherwise I personally would advise to install hass.io, this is possible with docker or together with hassOS, your choice. :slight_smile:

And I know that feeling, my last outage let me realise, my SAT-Receiver doesn’t start without internet access… :open_mouth: Since then I’m 100% local, no need besides power. :smiley:

I thought I read somewhere that SmartThings worked directly with a Zigbee stick. I have a HUSBZB-1 stick and although I don’t have SmartThings stuff, I have other branded Zigbee devices (IKEA, Ledvance, Visonic) which HA just recognizes. No MQTT involved.

1 Like

depending on the zigbee stick you have it can work directly in HA using the ZHA integration or you will have to use zigbee2mqtt.

the HUBZBZ-1 stick is one that connect directly to HA via ZHA without the need for MQTT.

the cc2531 zigbee stick (as of now) is required to use zigbee2mqtt. can use ZHA too. :wink:

I’m not sure about other brands/models.

Not anymore. HA 0.106 added ZHA support for the cc2531.

Thanks, I missed that.

I knew it was coming but I didn’t realize it was already done.

Absolutely! It just seems a shame that you can’t use the ST hub just as a kind of Zigbee/Z-wave adapter to send the signals. I can totally see why though as Samsung obviously want control.

Most of my bulbs are IKEA and I’m swapping out my Samsung buttons for the IKEA switches as they have an on and an off which makes life much easier as you don’t get conflicts with sensors. This sounds like the direction I need to go in.

Of course, the stick that I have seems to be one that HA doesn’t support (the Digi Xstick2). Never mind!

Thanks for the responses, all. This has at least straightened things out in my head.

I have s similar story to you, I used to use samsung smarthings.

Now I’ve got ha running on the server in my mancave tucked away in a corner of the house.

In the middle of my house I has a raspberry pi with an Aeotec Zwave usb stick and a conbee usb zigbee stick. I use a server/client daemon called usbip to export the usb sticks from the raspberry pi back to my ha server.

The built in zwave in ha works fine… use deconz for the zigbee network, can’t recommend it enough.

No reliance on the internet! going to get a big ups for my server and a ups for the raspberry pi to protect me from house power issues and then intend never to look back.

Samsung smarthings was good, but honestly nothing can beat an open system like HA with a great community behind it.

1 Like

The HUSBZB-1 stick has been flawless for me. I’ve only used the Zigbee side so far, but it’s good to know it also has Z-Wave support if I ever need it. For under $50 on Amazon, it’s been one of the better purchases I’ve made for my home automation. It’s the first thing I set up as a raw beginner, and I’ve never really had to think about it, tinker or troubleshoot. It just works.

That said, I’ve heard good things about the Conbee, and would consider that too, if I were starting over and didn’t need or want Z-Wave.

Former Wink user here and left the Internet for the exact same reason…too many outages in the cloud…and since I’m using home automation for security as well, this wasn’t acceptable.

I use the HUSBZB-1 stick too and it’s been flawless for both my Zigbee and Z-Wave devices. Plus everything responds virtually instantaneously now…amazing how much using the Internet slowed devices down which I had really noticed until I made everything local.

1 Like

I just got my cc2531 as I couldn’t find anywhere in the UK to get the HubZBZ one.

The thing now is that I can’t work out which port it’s plugged into. If I look in dmesg I can see it get added on 1-1.4 and it sees it as the right device but it doesn’t get assigned a /dev/ttyUSBx

Did you flash it with zigbee2mqtt coordinator firmware? Without that firmware, it does not show up as a serial port.

Doh! Just been reading about that. I couldn’t make up my mind whether I needed to do that or not. I guess the answer’s “yes” :slight_smile:

Back to the drawing board for now!

Annoying that the Xstick doesn’t work. That gets seen as /dev/ttyUSB0 straight away.

If you have a raspberry pi you can flash it yourself quite easily. Follow this video:

Moreover, itead(Sonoff) is selling the sticks with zigbee2mqtt preflashed.

1 Like