Issue w/ Docker & Discovery [nothing showing up or iOS]

Hi all –

Had an RPi w/ Hassio installed, recently upgraded to a NUC and installed Hassio via Docker using this guide [https://www.smarthomebeginner.com/docker-home-media-server-2018-basic/]. I am managing the Docker containers w/ the Portainer add-on.

Everything seems to be working well, ZHA/Zwave, Thermostat, various add-ons (including Nginx manager and Pi-hole).

The problem is the Discovery component doesn’t seem to be working as it was with my prior, non-Docker installation. Most of the various items on the network are found as they had been before [AppleTV, Logitech Harmony, etc].

Additionally, when I install the HA Beta iPhone app, I am able to connect, but, nothing is ever added to my iOS integration. I have removed the app, reset it, logged in again, waited, rebooted to no avail.

Annoyingly, two Homekit assets are found (my Ecobee thermostat, which I’ve already added through ecobee: component and Wemo’s, which, don’t actually show or add properly) and I am unable to permanently dismiss or ignore them.

When searching around I saw you must use ‘host’ flag when setting up the container, I don’t recall doing that specifically, but I see that in Portainer my home assistant docker is using ‘host’ as the network.

Everything else seems to be working properly – sorry for the long message but wanted to make sure it was detailed enough. I attached the discovered Homekit integrations I would like to ignore or fix through a working discovery component. Any help much appreciated!

Hassio runs in docker. If you were running hassio/HassOS prior, you were running in docker the same as you are now.

It’s weird that you wouldn’t use the official documentation…but here is your problem:

ports:
      - "XXXX:8123"

You need network mode to be host, and not opening a single port.

Then you didn’t follow the random tutorial? It specifically states to use ports…so if you have ports defined, you have a problem since network host means it will manage whatever ports it needs as it needs them. I also want to point out you aren’t running hassio, you’re running home assistant in docker.

I have the same problem, I believe. I installed using this command:

curl -sL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/home-assistant/hassio-installer/master/hassio_install.sh | bash -s

as per https://github.com/home-assistant/hassio-installer.

I believe that my docker container is not using --net=host but I don’t know hot to change it now. I’m very new to docker. I’m on Debian 9.

Is anybody able to advise?

If you ran that installer script it is. In fact, you could take a few minutes to read the script and see for yourself.

I actually did keyword searches on that script for the keywords “net” and “host” and found those online being echoed to output. Am I missing something?

Well, what makes you think it’s not using net=host and what is the actual issue you are having?

I’m very new to using docker. HA is not discovering things on my network. It’s okay, I have mostly just figured out how to manually add things in the config.

If anyone other newbies are having this same confusion, the solution in my case was to add this to my configuration.yaml file in order to “enable” discovery:

# Discovery
discovery: