Issues when registering the app on two identical phones (same model)

Hello,
I’m struggling having the app on the second device registered working correctly. It seems that for the registration the app uses not the device name (that you can change on the phone), but the model name. So I’m having the “Found duplicate device name xxx” error in the HA log and the second phone does not send updates or react to notifications. Am I alone having this problem?

Thanks!

1 Like

I know I had the same issue, I think I solved by removing the device in HA integration (while names are unique) and then adding it again. Somehow.

Thanks for the reply. Yes I tried, but without the possibility to change the name used by the app before the registration I get the same errors…
I’ve seen that a similar problem happens with the iOS app, but there you can change on the OS the string used by the app to identify the device on HA.

You can do that in the Android app too. That is what I was trying to say.
Open the configuration of the app and set the name of the device then delete in HA.

In the android app go to App Configuration and change the device name, then restart HA and rename your device entities if you need to.

I had a similar issue (here) which I tried to resolve but now I’ve ended up with this error and no way to install the integration let alone any phones.

I’d be grateful for any pointers on how to resolve this…
Thanks.

You can’t create the integration here, it gets created as you login to the app. Try these steps: https://companion.home-assistant.io/docs/troubleshooting/faqs/#starting-fresh-with-the-android-app

Don’t forget to change the device name in App Configuration before restarting HA the last time.

Thank you all for your help. In the end I was able to make it work. Anyway i’d be really easier if only the device would be registered with the device name and not with the device model.