Issues with NGD00Z-4 Garage door Opener

LOL For those playing along at home - I did NOT add it securely. Once I did… Yeah of COURSE it works. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I ran into this exact same issue (paired and working siren/lights, no control). After re-adding multiple times to triple check it was joined as secure, I found I need to re-pair the door sensor to the unit.

1. Remove door sensor if mounted and hold it.
  2. Press and hold the button on the control unit for 7 seconds until it chirps.
  3. Tilt the sensor in your hand 90 degrees, the unit should chirp again. If not rotate it back and try again until it does.
  4. Remount the sensor on the door and open/close the garage door manually.

At that point it started working again. Hope this can help someone.

1 Like

Did you ever get the battery level to work? I haven’t seen a battery level percentage since my days on a Wink hub so I just kind of ignored it… it comes up as undefined in Zwave2mqtt but was wondering if anyone else has gotten a reading

I’ve only got this Entity that mentions battery: Access Control - Barrier sensor low battery warning

Do you have an actual percentage for the battery level or just 0% ?

So - it’s a “low battery sensor” on or off, but below that it says: Value 74, which could be 74% (it’s been a while, but not a LONG while, since I’ve changed it.

Posting an update in case future peeps come looking for a solution to their GoControl headaches. To answer @yllw98stng directly: I futzed with re-enabling different entities and ultimately my GD00Z-7 stopped opening/closing - same symption = door status updates closed/opening/open/closing, light and audible signaling work, but the damn thing would not open/close via HASS (using Z-Wave JS2MQTT). Error logs showed a ‘hardware failure’ and ‘ul status disabled’ messages. I must have unpaired/repaired the controller half a dozen times, opening the garage door after pairing again. Solution entailed RTFM and follow instructions:

1. Unpaired the GD00Z (had to initiate from HASS JS app for some reason - not JS2MQTT console)
  2. Unplugged the garage door opener
  3. Reset the GD00Z - 5x button taps, long beep
  4. Power cycled the GD00Z (probably didn’t need to)
  5. Plugged garage door opener back in
  6. FULL OPEN/CLOSE DOOR CYCLE FROM WALL BUTTON
  7. Secure Inclusion initiate from HASS, single press button on GD00Z - unit beeps, inclusion success
  8. Let it simmer for 10 min to be safe
  9. Rebooted HASS host (probably didn’t need to)
  10. ANOTHER DAMN FULL OPEN/CLOSE DOOR CYCLE FROM WALL BUTTON (maybe didn’t need to?)
  11. We’re back in business.

I didn’t touch / enable anything that wasn’t enabled by default after re-including the unit = 7 enabled entities, 5 disabled. I suspect the reset then full door cycle was the trick (as per the manual) - wondering if the UL Unattended Disabled status is triggered during initial setup, vs. part of the pairing workflow. In any case, finally back in action.

I have a NGD00Z-4. Using the default inclusion (take a long interview time) I have these:
cover.garage_door
sensor.garage_door_battery level
binary_sensor.garage_door_low_battery_level
sensor.garage_door_alarmlevel
sensor.garage_door_alarmtype
And garage door does not respond to open/close command. Manual cycle does not work.

Then I tried “advance inclusion” and choose “legacy secure” and it instantly paired and have these entities:
cover.garage_door_controller
inary_sensor.garage_door_controller_access_control_barrier_sensor_low_battery_warning
binary_sensor.garage_door_controller_access_control_barrier_sensor_not_detected_supervisory_error
binary_sensor.garage_door_controller_home_security_tampering_product_cover_removed
switch.garage_door_controller_signaling_state_audible
switch.garage_door_controller_signaling_state_visual

Everything worked without any additional attentions.

1 Like

As someone who spent hours fighting with this thing when I first got it… between initial inclusion (I was newbie Wink Hub User and it was one of my first of a couple z-wave devices at the time) I too discovered the importance of the full cycle after any hiccups in it’s operation.
If that tilt sensor doesn’t do an open/close it considers it a safety concern and will not operate.

Also, don’t forget to change the battery in the tilt sensor after too long. Back in the OZW days (and Wink Hub prior) I got a battery level from the tilt sensor… I lost that a couple years ago in OZW and it’s never been back. Any chance you are seeing a tilt sensor battery level reported?

1 Like

so i just moved over to jszwave and have a go control garage door opener
can anyone tell me what the
switch.garage_door_controller_signaling_state_audible
and
switch.garage_door_controller_signaling_state_visual
… are they just so we can activate the light and beeper ?
thanks jeff

oh and should the battery level work ?

After this - are you able to see Battery status? Or is the goal to just open/close and see door status?

The audible switch, when turned to “on” makes the device go BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP until you turn it back off.

The visual switch, when turned to “on” makes the device go FLASH FLASH… FLASH FLASH… FLASH FLASH… Until you turn it off.

I just went into my garage to confirm.

The BATTERY thing, though… “Battery Sensor Status” just says “Idle”.

Thanks - same here. I got no battery status.

My other oddity is the refresh interval. After initiating open via Home assistant app on my phone, pressing close does nothing. If I wait 30 or so seconds, it’ll work. Almost like the status updates properly, but there’s a cool off period.

I seen you in another thread I was following (alarm panel stuff) looks like we have the same experiences lol

Heh, working as advertised - there’s supposed to be a 30 second delay as a safety thing!

If we’re the same person - don’t forget to do that thing we said we’d do.

Dang - I saw that - the UL stuff someone mentioned. Been reading so many pages it’s a blur.

Oh we did that thing - and it was fabulous. Definitely need to do that again. Did you turn off the oven?

1 Like

I wonder if we can make the BEEEP turn on in response to a door opening event. Like if I put a zigbee/z-wave sensor on the door…

IF Alarm state is ARMED and GDO is open, flash light and siren. Might not ward them off altogether, but at least spook 'em a bit.

I don’t see why that wouldn’t work - they both appear as a regular switch.

I got mine working after noticing the tilt sensor was low battery ( Barrier sensor low battery warning ). Then it would open and close.
But still have the:
Garage Door Controller Barrier sensor not detected / supervisory error as UNKNOWN
and
Garage Door Controller Barrier unattended operation has been disabled per UL requirements as OFF
(I’m thinking that last one is good. Can’t remember what it was with the low battery)

After replacing the battery and getting it open/closing tried what Roborobp mentions, but didn’t seem to do anything and never chirped.

This worked until I installed Zwave JS.

Just wanted to chime in with my experience with the NGD00Z-4 Garage door Opener since I was able to make it work.

My setup:

• NGD00Z-4
  • Rpi 4B with HA
  • Z-Wave JS 0.21
  • Zooz 800 dongle
  • Distance of about 20-25 feet between the dongle and the controller
  • Small z-wave network with 6 nodes

I have a feeling that:

1. You have to use legacy or insecure inclusion with this device
  2. Looks like you may have to re-interview it to make sure you get all the entities it needs.

This is how I got to stumbled to a working device:

1. I first tried including the NGD00Z-4 to HA, but got a “Device was added insecurely” message. The indicator or control was not working. I only get one visible entity to control the door. Yes, I was cycling the door up and down.
  2. I tried to exclude and include multiple times. Same result.
  3. I tried including to my Abode alarm system and the control and indicator worked fine.
  4. Another inclusion to HA and got the same error and no control or indicator.
  5. Excluded once again, then used the Zwave “Add a Z-Wave device” options to include it using Legacy Secure. I did not get the warning, I could control the door, but the indicator was not working.
  6. I then tried inclusion using Insecure, but got the same result as when using Legacy Secure.
  7. I had given up, then tried one more time using Legacy Secure. This time I got two entities (an extra one called Signaling State). Finally the control and indicator works.

Very flaky in my opinion. Make sure you try to reinterview and test the sensor. If you are holding the sensor in your hand then make sure you keep the tamper switch on its board pressed.

Hope this helps someone!

I’ve got a gd00z-8 (ha sees as 7) I was having issues with, same as everyone else. I Could make it flash and beep by command, but the up/down control did nothing… No flashing, no beeping, no movement. I was about at wits end with excluding and re-including both unsecure and secure. Latest version of ha running on vmware.

My issue was at some point I had mixed up the tilt sensor base plate to the tilt sensor itself. I had replaced the tilt sensor in the past at the old house. When adding to my new ha deployment at the new house, I inadvertently used the wrong tilt sensor base plate so the tamper button wasn’t getting depressed.

In troubleshooting I had also disabled the sensors as described above so not sure if that contributed to my success or not.