I've hit my WTF stage with automations not firing

Building an automation to trigger a script. In troubleshooting, I’ve stripped down functionality just to see this thing actually fire. Which it’s not.

Automation

Script

Mode is Single

Traces always end with finished

The ONLY time this thing fires is when I tell it to manually. It never fires by itself. There are never any traces after I manually trigger it, so I have nothing to review to figure out why it’s not firing. As for the SUN condition, I’ve been fighting with this all day long. It’s during the day. Besides, it’s a condition. The trigger should still fire and leave a trace.

I’ve reloaded automation, reloaded scripts, restarted HAOS, rebooted the entire VM.

NOTHING.

I believe the time trigger in your screenshot will only trigger at 12:00:30 AM (00:00:30). Is that your intent? If you want to trigger every 30 seconds, leave the hour and minutes empty, or use * instead, and set seconds to /30.

https://www.home-assistant.io/docs/automation/trigger/#time-pattern-trigger

2 Likes

FFS! I just watched a video on YT that walked through creating automation, and he specifically went over this one.

I guess Nabucaasa went and changed how that trigger works since then. Looks like it follows cron scheduling. Boy, I love figuring out cron schedule code!

Is there any real point in watching YT videos to try and learn HAOS??

Thanks for catching this!

I don’t know if the time_pattern syntax changed, but the documentation of today looks the same to me as it did 4 years ago.

That video guide is two years old, so there’s a very high likelihood that much of the information is just no longer valid for today. I would avoid any video guide more than a few months old. Even with recent videos, I would not automatically assume the information given is always correct.

2 Likes