Keeping track of pantry items (not using grocy)

Hello,

maybe I searched wrong, but I couldn’t really find what I was looking for. I want to track my pantry, but not all of it. I don’t want or need to track everyday items like e.g. milk or oats, as I handle these everyday and directly see if they need restocking. I want to rather track the not so often used items.

Examples:

1. I bought these burger buns which have a best before date in 6 weeks. I don’t need them this week or next week, but I want to use them before the best before date. So I would like to see on which date / in what timeframe (e.g. in 3 weeks) these buns expire, so I can plan to use them before. Use case: Use not often used items before their best before date.

2. I want to cook xyz and I know I need tomato puree for this. I think I have that in the pantry, but I am not 100% sure. I want to check if it is there and how much. Maybe I have only one can remaining but I will need two cans for what I’m planning to cook. Use case: Check how much / how many items of a unit are present.

I see grocy mentioned often, but I think it is extremely overkill for what I want to do. I’m thinking that actually this could even be done with a simple spreadsheet, but it would be nice to have this available in HA.

Thank you very much.

Thanks for pointing this out, but I guess you are not using this yourself, right?
I would also be interested in how people actually do keep track.

EDIT:
Maybe I am thinking too complicated, maybe it is also a too simple thing (although for me it is not).

Yes, I can include a google sheet in home assistant, but if that is the solution I would rather just use google sheets itself. I rather want a calendar or list view of the items that are about to expire and a simple table of the stock of items (see example number 2).

Maybe for the first topic calendar entries could be an idea? But going into the calendar and creating an appointment is too much of a hassle to do. Ideally I would just have a simple form where I can enter the item and the expiration date.