KNX Integration - entity id and reload?

Hi,

over the rainy weekend I was playing with Homeassistant on my RasperryPI and I got many things working already (KNX Integration, Homematic Integration, Zigbee Integration, Tesla and much more). Two things I could not get done properly:

1. KNX Lights get an entity ID automatically and I can’t specify one, or I don’t know how (tried with entity_id, id). This works but then it says: “Diese Entität hat keine eindeutige ID, daher können die Einstellungen nicht über die UI verwaltet werden.” “This entity does not have a unique ID, therefore its settings cannot be managed from the UI”. and so I can’t change it over the UI. Anyone knows how to fix that?

2. Currently all my KNX config is in the configuration.yaml. To update the interface, I allways need to restart the server. Is there a smarter way todo that?

Best
Philipp

What do you mean by KNX Lights? Are you talking about an actuator?

Ad 1: You can’t configure Knx via UI. It’s not implemented in the integration.
Ad 2: No, that’s the way.

Maybe the right question is what do you want to do?

Thank you for your answers, explain why I didn’t found another way in the documentaion then.

What I would like todo is to assign my lights to the different Rooms. But the lights only show up as entities and not as devices, so I don’t know how I can assign them to the corresponding room.
I would like that my KNX lights are also Devices like other lights, eg. Hue Bulbs.

Best
Philipp

Why don’t you try making a group that contains only the knx light that you are trying to work with? I have groups with a mixture of hue and knx lights and they can be turned on and off together.

There is now a PR for reloading knx configuration, if anyone is interested.

1 Like

Hello @PhilippK
Did you find the solution to define unique ID ?
Because it is annoying when modifing the name, it breaks the UI, because the ID is based on name

2 Likes

Vote up :slight_smile:

Came to the same issue, not able to assign my knx devices to areas/rooms.

Should we create a feature request?

Finally I decided to defined the name like an id.
I use a specific format to know the type, the room and the name of the entity.
Then I declare in the customization (yaml) all my entities to define the friendly_name and sometimes the icon or the device_class
For example :

binary_sensor.sensorsmoke_salon_fumee_salon_fumee_detectee:
  friendly_name: "Fumée salon fumée détectée"
  device_class: 'smoke'
  icon: mdi:smoke-detector

And it works fine for me. It would be better to be able to define everything in the knx integration but…

Thanks for the hint @fravetier. But unfortunately, that manual way is no option for my whole house knx devices :-).
But in another thread I ve read about this: https://github.com/XKNX/xknx/pull/576
Looks promising!

I have a lot too but I wrote some python to parse my knx files and generate the customization. The end of my entities contains the friendly name after removing some characters.
I spent less time to write a small piece of code than doing everything manually.
You may do the same.

1 Like