LED Matrix MQTT

Dear all,

I found this project which is absolutely cool. BUT this project is kind of hard coded and not really flexible.

My question is: Is there anybody out there who is familiar with coding / Arduino etc to make this project more generic to use for HomeAssistnt?

Here the link. Would be great if some guys would oick up this project and help to develoe.

I’m no Coder / programmer so I dunno where to start.

I’m also on discord : ThUnD3r|Gr33n or even XMPP [email protected]

HELP APPRECIATED!!

Thanks fellas.

2 Likes

I just did something similar for garage door notifications on a single 4x8x8 max7129 display. It’s MQTT is limited to the info I wanted but would be easy to generalize because of the callback loop on the ESP.

I’m using the homeassistant statestream to publish to MQTT from HA events

Is this what you’re looking for?

Absolutely! If it would also be possible to send some generic messages or messages from notifier or something …would be awesom.what exactly can your matrix?

I use tasker on the phone to send custom messages to the topic. That’s another topic altogether

You can send MQTT messages through the HA MQTT tab under dev MQTT options, the funny looking vertical scale icon.

Here is the repo with the ESP code.

and here is the output video:

Video of output

I have played with MD_Parola sprites on arduino but either there is a ESP compat issue or a revision of the library is missing stuff b/c sprites like pac-man don’t compile in the demo.
Haven’t poked around b/c it’s not important to me, but it wouldn’t be that hard to send an animation parameter through MQTT can capture it much like the brightness is captured.

Remember, the code has an “If statement” so you can now call it AI. :slight_smile:

The other guy’s code is more sophisticated so I’ll have to take a look at it. I just wanted something that would tell me if my latest project was working (sonar sensors for garage doors).

Cool…but could u make an example to sow how to configure this,?

No example file for me? :wink:

Sorry, I’ve been traveling. What have you tried?

Hope you had a nice journey…well I need a complete example on how I can send custom text / values to the matrix … I can’t find anything related to this on your repo

Ok, so I’ve been playing with this tonight and have something cobbled together :), currently it works how I think you want it. You can set up to 10 messages using input_text either as defaults using initial_on: “Clean your room” or change them dynamically in the frontend. Then you send the message using an input_boolean switch. The messages can be about 180 chars long. You can also template the message to be any sensor data with accompanying text - I haven’t sorted out how to make the input_text change to the sensor data yet tho.

… sounds very nice … and the repo ? :slight_smile:

Not ready to release yet as there is no error checking and the comments need updating, but it all seems to work except for the sensor data being captured by the input_text.

Waiting the release though

Did u manager now to clean up and fix this ?

Errm you know I have as it’s in your git thingy :stuck_out_tongue:

Don’t wanna make it public ?

Since it’s been taken on by someone else, it’s up to them.

By who? Do u have the repo link?

See the original thread, tho’ I think you’ve already spoken to him…

you got anywhere with this? did you manage to try the sprites effect?

what u mean with sprites effect?