LG WebOS TV not playing Media

Hi Community,

I am very new to Home Assistant platform, I am hoping if someone can please help me out.

All i am trying to do is to get my LG WebOS TV to play local media, I am able to control via Home Assistant in every other way, its fully paird and I can turn it off/on, control volume and change source etc but I can’t get it to play local or any media via automation.

I am trying it via “Service Call” using “Play media” service, I can play media on Chromecast but not on LG TV.

On’y difference I can see is that when I select Chromecast its under “devices” but LG TV is under “entities”

Running latest version of HA OS. trying below script

service: media_player.play_media
data:
media_content_type: video
media_content_id: ‘media-source://media_source/local/bluey.mp4’
target:
entity_id: media_player.living_room_tv

i have the same problem.

share_media_demo:
  alias: Share media using tv demo
  sequence:
  - service: media_player.play_media
    data:
      media_content_id: media-source://media_source/media/example.mp4
    target:
      entity_id: media_player.lg_webos_tv_uh650v
  mode: single

Executed: February 24, 2022, 11:52:40 AM
Result:
params:
  domain: media_player
  service: play_media
  service_data:
    media_content_id: media-source://media_source/media/example.mp4
    entity_id:
      - media_player.lg_webos_tv_uh650v
  target:
    entity_id:
      - media_player.lg_webos_tv_uh650v
running_script: false
limit: 10
1 Like

Same problem here still in 2023… Both media_extractor and play_media no luck there, these did work with Chromecast and Android TV boxes…

Logs don’t show anything, the service seems to work just the TV doesn’t do anything (tried to change source on TV also to like YouTube app, just seems there is no “cast” application per se).
Hope someone has figured it out by now!!!

service: media_player.play_media
data:
  media_content_id: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eA2Koq6pTI
target:
  entity_id:
    - media_player.living_room_tv

service: media_extractor.play_media
data:
  media_content_type: VIDEO
  media_content_id: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eA2Koq6pTI
target:
  entity_id:
  - media_player.living_room_tv

Here’s how I managed to do it for a local video file:

service: webostv.command
data:
  entity_id: media_player.garage_tv
  command: system.launcher/open
  payload:
    target: http://homeassistant.local:8123/local/videofilename.mp4

Works like a charm!

That appears to only play one file. How are you configuring videofilename.mp4 so that it has the media you want to play? I have all my video content on owncloud and use a firestick with Xplorer app to access the media. I used HA to control my webos LG tv, control the firestick and thus browse and play all the media. While it works, in reality the real remote works better. It might be interesting if I could browse the media through HA directly and then play it over to a LG tv as you’ve indicate. I’ll have to look into that.

I was in that instance only playing a single file.
However between my last response and now, I was finding that sometimes it wouldn’t start from the beginning.

What I have changed to since then is using DLNA server using my Synology NAS (using the Media Server application), and then the DLNA Renderer for the LG TV.
In order to set it up to play the relevant video, I found the TV had to be on so that I could browse to the media within the script action configuration.