Life360 Device Tracker Platform

I wanted to share what my solution/workaround is in case anyone that comes across this has the same issue as I have with HA reboots and automations triggering from the device_tracker change. I don’t think this is necessarily Life360 specific. My solution is in Node Red, but there is no reason that it cannot work in HA automations as well. I created an uptime sensor in HA and then in Node Red I put a node that checks the uptime status of HA. If HA has been up for less than 20 minutes then the automation will not run that usually would when not_home->home triggers. My backups run in the very early morning, so not running these automations for 20 minutes during that time is acceptable to me.

Also after doing a good bit of digging through Github issues it seems like this is the issue that I’m encountering with Life360: https://github.com/home-assistant/core/issues/37525
It also seems like it may be up to the integration on how to restore state: https://github.com/home-assistant/core/pull/26926

I apologize if this has been discussed already…

In Life360 I have a place called “Home”. It looks from the app like 250ft is the smallest radius. Is there any way to make this smaller?

I have an automation that triggers when someone in my circle shows up “at home” and that radius extends beyond the street so even when they drive by it triggers. I’d like to make the radius smaller if possible.

Or maybe there is a different way of doing it?

I have entries in my zones.yaml and I’ve tried lowering the radius there but it has had no effect.

Thanks!

-Tim

anyone else seeing this? been here for some time now, and nothing on the life360 tweet line… website is not responding either:

020-10-06 16:45:53 ERROR (SyncWorker_15) [homeassistant.components.life360.device_tracker] get_circles: CommError: HTTPSConnectionPool(host='api.life360.com', port=443): Max retries exceeded with url: /v3/circles.json (Caused by ReadTimeoutError("HTTPSConnectionPool(host='api.life360.com', port=443): Read timed out. (read timeout=3.05)"))
2020-10-06 16:46:04 ERROR (SyncWorker_0) [homeassistant.components.life360.device_tracker] Suppressing further errors until OK: get_circles: CommError: HTTPSConnectionPool(host='api.life360.com', port=443): Max retries exceeded with url: /v3/circles.json (Caused by ReadTimeoutError("HTTPSConnectionPool(host='api.life360.com', port=443): Read timed out. (read timeout=3.05)"))
2020-10-06 16:46:21 ERROR (SyncWorker_4) [homeassistant.components.life360.device_tracker] get_circles: OK again
2020-10-06 16:46:53 ERROR (SyncWorker_21) [homeassistant.components.life360.device_tracker] get_circles: CommError: HTTPSConnectionPool(host='api.life360.com', port=443): Max retries exceeded with url: /v3/circles.json (Caused by ReadTimeoutError("HTTPSConnectionPool(host='api.life360.com', port=443): Read timed out. (read timeout=3.05)"))
2020-10-06 16:46:57 ERROR (SyncWorker_33) [homeassistant.components.life360.device_tracker] Suppressing further errors until OK: get_circles: CommError: 503 Server Error: Service Unavailable: Back-end server is at capacity for url: https://api.life360.com/v3/circles.json

I was getting a bunch of them earlier, but is looks like they have fixed whatever broke in the past 30 minutes or so.

yes, its ok here now too.

thing is, I have many templates based on this, and my whole presence detection system relies on Life360…

1 Like

Yes same here

Accurate reliable presence detection is the holy grail of home automation in my opinion. Whilst it is fairly easy to implement with many alternatives, none seem to be really robust. I have tried relying on just one of Life360 and Google but both have their drawbacks so now unfortunately I still use both along with the excellent composite device tracker by pnbruckner.

One of these days I’ll bite the bullet and open my system up1 and then the mobile app might be the one system that allows me to stop using one or both of the cloud based apps.

1 I keep looking into it and then get cold feet about the security side of it.

Just wondering if anyone else is having the same problem, ever since yesterday (unsure if it was the outage with L360 or I did also update both HASS and OS) the ‘at location since’ and ‘last seen’ seem to be an hour behind… this fills my logs with ‘Ignoring update because timestamp is older than last timestamp’ which caused my db to corrupt I believe as it had generated tons.

the time zone is set correctly in Hassio, europe/london (I live in UK) and the logbook time etc is all correct, just these two settings, it’s like it’s ignoring DST or something… at the end of the incorrect date/time it does have correct time zone - +00:00

I installed L360 through the intergration page as opposed to adding it into my config.yaml and it’s been working fine ever since its been setup, up until yesterday :frowning:
Cheers,

Yeah, this is why I went with the Homekit → input_boolean method for detecting actual presence and then using L360 for sub-status (like driving, at location, etc). But, I’ve since started to move more to HA native zones for a lot of this as well. So, I think L360 is going to get regulated to things like driving detection and using HA natives for my actual location automations. Especially with 2 (or 3) outages in the past month, I’m finding I just can’t rely on them like I have in the past.

Maybe just a stupid question.
After using standard integration for life360 do i need to delete the yaml configuration inside configuration.yaml? Or it MUST stay there?

you did read this: https://www.home-assistant.io/integrations/life360 ?

1 Like

Hi all

How can i create a custom sensor to display tracker location (zone) ?
Tryed with a sensor template, but it cant display the location, from «place», only variables.

I’ve got problems with HA not getting my location fast enough when i arrive at home, its always 2-5min behind.
both me and my wife is using IOS, interval_seconds is set to 5sec
Does anyone know if there is an solution to this ?

Good morning everyone. I just got an email from Life360 stating that the web login is being discontinued in early May. Does anyone know if this has implications for the component?

I saw that, too. Unfortunately, there’s no way to know. My guess is they just don’t want to maintain two different interfaces. Time will tell.

Recently I noticed this error in my logs:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/helpers/event.py", line 271, in _async_state_change_dispatcher
    hass.async_run_hass_job(job, event)
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/core.py", line 428, in async_run_hass_job
    hassjob.target(*args)
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/zone/trigger.py", line 61, in zone_automation_listener
    from_match = condition.zone(hass, zone_state, from_s) if from_s else False
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/helpers/condition.py", line 765, in zone
    raise ConditionErrorMessage("zone", "no zone specified")
homeassistant.exceptions.ConditionErrorMessage: In 'zone' condition: no zone specified

It is only happening to one of my 2 devices using Life360. Not sure if it matters but the device in question is on IOS 13 and is jailbroken, where as the other device is on IOS 14 and not jailbroken.

I’m not sure that error has anything to do with Life360. It looks like you have an automation with a zone trigger, but the zone you specified does not exist. Are there any other errors in the log that could help indicate which automation is causing the problem?

Just found the issue - I changed a zone awhile back through the UI. When I just checked my zones in Developer Tools, the old zone hadn’t changed. Should be good now. Thanks for the help.

Hey, is it just me or is the “place” attribute simply not updating anymore?

I am experiencing delays today.

Can anyone propose a good alternative for Life360 with HA integration?