Linear NGDZ00-4 Garage Door

I had the same problem using the dev branch (crashing at startup) so I moved back to the stable branch with the cover patch.

Ok, new problem has surfaced. After having updated to use the dev version of OZW, I’m having a stability problem. Specifically, I’m have home assistant terminations (at irregular times) with an Index out of range error, supposedly being sent from libopenzwave.pyx. Disabling zwave on the configuration.yaml seems to correct this, but obviously is not a fix. I suspect that the issue could be related to the multisensor showing as unknown. It only checks in every 3600 seconds, but it went 12 hours as unknown after swapping over to the dev OZW build.

How do I remove the multisensor cleanly from HA? should I delete the db file, and then clean the zwcg_XXXXXX.xml of the device references? Or should I try and kill it from the zwave config screen? As far as I can tell, I can’t remove the node while it is in probe stage (which it stays in for hours, then HA crashes).

Needing a bit of help here.

Note: The exact error being received is
File “src-lib/libopenzwave/libopenzwave.pyx”, line 512, in libopenzwave.notif_callback (src-lib/libopenzwave/libopenzwave.cpp:5940)
IndexError: list index out of range

aaaand, now it’s throwing the “Invalid ValueID passed to GetValueAsBool” exception…

Just tried this and got the same error. Turns out it has nothing to do with Cython not being installed. It is a syntax problem. The “–flavor=ozwdev” works but “–flavor=dev” fails for me (the environment folder for open-wave is properly exported. The fix is to use “–flavor=‘dev’” having added the ’ ’ around the dev

edit: turns out this was wrong. There is a number of reasons which can cause this “Fail to install minimal dependencies Cython” error. I found out that I could install within my virtual environment but not as root. Since I am not using a venv on my home assistant installation, I had to use run the installation as root using sudo. This however wipes out the export path to open-zwave and causes this error. The solution was to run a sudo while maintaining the user environment by sending the command “sudo -E su”.

I am getting very frustrated with this. I had it all working on an older version with
openzwave-python 0.4.9
openzwave 1.5.0
home-assistant 0.70

The upgrade to
openzwave-python 0.4.11
openzwave 1.5.3480
home-assistant 0.81b0
seems to have broken everything on the cover component. I also window covers which were working and are now not automatically recognized. I am basically not getting any cover of any kind. I used not need to call out the cover component in the configuration.yaml. Now even with it added, I am not seeing any cover. I tried deleting the sqlite file, healing, refreshing as well rebooting… Can’t seem to get anything to work. I can see the GD00Z show up with 9 entities, all sensors. One of them has access control in the name…

Any specific reason you are using the OpenZWave Dev branch and a beta version of HASS? You are always going to have risks using non-stable versions.

I would switch back to the stable (master) OpenZWave branch with the barrier patches. Dev is not stable at all. Not sure if you can downgrade HASS.

Looks like Z-Wave window covers were broken in 0.81b0: https://github.com/home-assistant/home-assistant/pull/17725

HASS versions 0.81b0 and 0.81b1 are still setting the python-openzwave version to 0.4.10. This means that when HASS starts up for the first time, if you have 0.4.11 installed it’s going to downgrade to the released 0.4.10, so you really aren’t using the Dev branch version that you thought you were. If you want to use 0.81b0 and your own openzwave build you’ll either need to install/build version 0.4.10 or modify the zwave/__init__.py file to use 0.4.11.

1 Like

Thanks, I was not aware that the window cover was broken on 0.81b0 I may need to downgrade indeed. I run my own fork with regular updates from the beta. It is to the point where I have never even tried a master release build. I have modified my version to use 0.4.11 so this is not the problem. For my other 24/7 instance which does not use wave, the dev branch of Homeassistant has actually been rock solid. I have also been running the dev branch (1.5.0) of openzwave for several months without a hick. I may try to downgrade both openzwave to the patched 1.4 and to an older dev version to see if that works.

Lights, switches, sensors, Locks and binary sensors are being setup without any problem. Only the cover components problematic.

Well I have to thank you again, I made that minor code change in my fork and all is well again. The cover component is back.
Summary: Running a modified fork of home assistant 0.81b + python-openzwave 0.4.11 + openzwave 1.5.3480 seems to be all working.

Edit: OZW 1.5.3480 is indeed very unstable. Much more so than 1.5.0. I decided to downgrade to my own fork of 1.4.3259 and it appears to be working just fine.

For the life of me, I cannot get the

pip3 install --no-cache-dir 'python_openzwave==0.4.10' --install-option="--flavor=dev" 

command to pick up my LOCAL_OPENZWAVE export. Also tried

pip3 install --no-cache-dir 'python_openzwave==0.4.10' --install-option="--flavor='dev'"

after running the export command

export LOCAL_OPENZWAVE=/home/hass/open-zwave/

in my venv (non-Docker) for HA. Am I missing a stupid trick to get the python-openzwave installation to pick up my local openzwave git clone?

Assuming you executed the commands from inside the venv?

Sorry. Yes. And now…I can’t even get ozwdev to pick up.

I’m sure it’s a stupid mistake. Just trying to backtrack my stupidity. Current process:

1. Clone master open-zwave brach
  2. Add Barrier/CommandClasses files
  3. Changed to homeassistant dir (/srv/homeassistant)
  4. Activate venv
  5. Stop HA
  6. Export LOCAL_OPENZWAVE=/home/hass/open-zwave/
  7. Uninstall python_openzwave
  8. Install python_openzwave with various flavor options
  9. Restart HA
  10. Check OZW_Log.txt for version
  11. Break something in frustration.

Here’s the command that has worked previous to pick up the online OZWDEV flavor. This has worked previously but no love today.

pip3 install --no-cache-dir 'python_openzwave==0.4.10' --install-option="--flavor=ozwdev"

OZW_Log.txt is showing: Always, OpenZwave Version 1.4.3142 Starting Up

Sounds like HomeAssistant is changing your python_openzwave for you.

It is. My first problem was specifying python_openzwave=0.4.10 which I thought I saw in the HA 0.80 requirements.txt. Unfortunately, I was looking at the dev branch. Master branch (0.80) still requires python_openzwave 0.4.9. Was never going to use my version when HA was setting up 0.4.9 behind the scenes.

Retying the install with dev flavors. If that doesn’t work, I’ll try ozwdev again to see if I can at least get back to where I started.

Thanks.

@firstof9, cover broken in 0.81.0

Guessing because OpenZWave was upgraded?

Thanks

Update python_openzwave==0.4.10 (@georgemarshall - #17323) (zwave docs)

Yup they updated the requirements, but 0.4.11 is the latest version. shrug

Is there a solution to this?

Yup you can mod the __init__.py in the zwave component directory, or just leave it be as it doesn’t break anything really.

I’m confused, Cover breaks as part of 81.x since python_ozw is on 4.10 correct?

Right now I build my container with py_ozw 0.4.9 and cython 24.1. I guess just update those to the latest of each and should be good to go? No unpair, repair?

0.4.10 doesn’t break anything, @pdobrien3 was having issues because his dev version of ozw was getting recompiled to a non-dev version.

Ah ok, I misunderstood. Thanks!

BTW, anyone running any revs higher than 24.1 for cython? Just curious.