Logic Pro X recording sign on/off to HA?

Hi there,
I have a music recording studio and is using Logic Pro X as the DAW. Beside that I have HA installed for controlling all the light, scenes etc.

There is an opportunity to control a control light integrated in the DAW so every time you record something, it will transmit a midi note to a midi controller. My question is then; Is it possible to somehow build a USB to midi controller and send that signal into HA to control some lights in order to turn on a light from HA?

Hope there are some creative people out there or maybe someone who already have done a setup like this. :pray:

1 Like

I guess you can do that with a virtual midi port and this: https://github.com/pintman/midi2mqtt. Right now i’m using a midi controller to send mqtt messages that can be used by HA to control my lights.

1 Like

Hello @clyra
Could you explain a bit more what you mean with midi-controller?
I would be more that happy to accomplish something similar too. I have a neat by z-wave controlled light on the outside of the studio offering a sign that we are in a recording, but I still have to turn it on myself.
It would be great to learn about your solution.

I guess that what I’m doing is not what you want. I have this cheap “mixer” midi controller and a script that opens the usb/midi interface and read whatever midi msg it sends. These messages (usually midi CC) are translated to mqtt messages.

OK, so I installed what I found in the git repo on a Mac, I guess on the Mac that has e.g. Logic (?), but that is maybe not enough?
I could not install it on a Home Assistant Blue (Odroid), that gave a massive list of errors at the end of the installation process.

I tried to have a look at the MIDI mapping but it does not appear on neither Logic nor the MacOS itself (systemwide). I guess this needs too much ‘magic’ to be of enough interest for us, I mean I wonder how much effort needs te be made to get this working. We are not very deep skilled programmers with just limited time to muck about and this nice apple that hangs in the tree looks a bit too high to reach. :pleading_face:

I created a custom component for Reaper DAW, allowing you to trigger and read recording status (and more): GitHub - kubawolanin/ha-reaper: Reaper DAW custom integration for Home Assistant

This was possible thanks to Reaper’s web interface.
Does Logic offer something similar? If so, it could potentially be possible to create a API.

But seems like MIDI is the only viable option:

Another solution (although hacky) might be listening to Logic’s logs or window handler and update entity’s state accordingly.
I saw a similar approach for Microsoft Teams status.

Disclaimer: not a Logic user :wink:

1 Like

Thanks for your approach, probably could benefit someone that uses Reaper strait away!

Currently I start to think about making a universal solution, as we use several DAW’s here. Just to connect to MIDI by an old school hardware port, Arduino based, that triggers a cheap (Sonoff) Zigbee pushbutton. Al put in some kind of black box. MIDI and power in and a little recessed button to reset/pair. Already look forward making it.
Based on what I found here: Midi Controlled Recording Light for Logic Pro X : 9 Steps (with Pictures) - Instructables

Another option that might be viable is to use OSC.

There’s even a MQTT-OSC bridge that could be used:

And a quick google revealed this Node-red flow that works in both ways:
https://flows.nodered.org/flow/6f2c4325859197aba9b46be4582100c8

1 Like

If i had more time to spare on open source, I would definitely try to create an OSC integration that would allow to control and read states of various DAWs and more. There’s a nice python library already:

1 Like

That is definitely interesting and worth looking into! OSC to MQTT could be a good route indeed.