Losing confidence (caused by disappearing container)

Good day all,

I am losing my confidence in the Synology Home Assistant docker installation, I am a very enthousiast user of Home Assistant however after a while my Synology Docker container disappears completly, I can’t find anything in the log it is just gone. Does anyone has found a sollution for this matter. Re-installing the container works, the config files stil excists however suddenly the container is gone again?

Thnx folks,

André

I’m not having any issues with my syno docker container removing itself. Are you on the latest DSM? I’ve also just upgraded to HA 0.53. Below is my run command:

docker run -d --name=”home-assistant” -v /path/to/your/config:/config -v /etc/localtime:/etc/localtime:ro --restart=always --net=host homeassistant/home-assistant

Sorry but I am a noob in docker installations, where to find this run command (path)

I SSH into my synology nas and run that command as opposed to using the gui to setup. That might be the reason why your container is dissapearing.

From the guide I wrote up:

Using Putty or a similar SSH Client login to your DSM with the Host Name/IP of your Synology and the port you assigned for SSH service.
Login as your admin account and you should see something similar to “admin@YOURNAS Name:/$” . Now let’s get the latest home-assistant version by typing the following command:

sudo docker pull homeassistant/home-assistant

Once the pull and installation has completed, you type this command to initialise Home Assistant:

docker run -d --name=”home-assistant” -v/path/to/your/config:/config -v /etc/localtime:/etc/localtime:ro --net=host homeassistant/home-assistant

Example path: /volume1/docker/home-assistant:/config

I installed it with this command with ssh:

sudo docker run --name home-assistant --restart=always --net=host --privileged -itd -v /volume1/Shared/docker/homeassistant/config:/config --device /dev/ttyACM0 homeassistant/home-assistant

Synology uses api to monitor and control docker if I remember correctly.
When I use synology I had many weird behavior from docker that (now that I have debian server) I no longer see.

Anyway, Is it possible the docker container was stopping and only synology gui was not picking up?

sudo docker ps -a

This command show all container and their status (-a means include all status not just running container).
Next time this occur try this if you have not already. If the HA container shows it may have been stopped and somehow just hidden from UI. I did experience similar problems with synology where downloaded image was not showing in UI.

This definitely sound like synology issue.

Also, net=host may be changed to -p 8123:8123
this basically defines the specific port need to access application. if you need more port you may define them using same but 8123 is generally good enough for HA.

Thank you all for your reply, I got an answer of Synology who seems to have tackled the problem.

"Thank you for contacting Synology support.

Is it possible that you have created a file under /var/packages/Docker/etc that includes “.config” in the file name?
If so, then you would encounter this issue, so please remove the words “.config” from that file and try again.

It’s a known issue that we will be resolving if a future update."