Lowe's Iris Version 1 or 2 Hub in Home Assistant

So I have some great news about the Iris Hub 2.0. I found out how to get serial output from the hub.

What you need Arduino Uno and some jumpers

1.Jump reset to ground on the Uno
2.Ground pin 1 on the J1 (pin 1 is the box contact)
3.J1 Pin 4 to Uno Pin 0
4.J1 Pin 5 to Uno Pin 1
5.Plug in the Arduino to your computer and I use Putty on speed 115200
6.Plug in the hub and you will get this.

BlockquoteU-Boot SPL 2013.10 (Jul 27 2015 - 13:27:27)
reading args
spl: error reading image args, err - -1
reading u-boot.img
reading u-boot.img
omap-sham 53100000.sham: initialization failed.
omap_voltage_late_init: Voltage driver support not added
INIT: version 2.88 booting
Starting udev
Sun Oct 15 05:43:06 UTC 2017
Setting up needed gpios…
Done with gpio setup
Setup buzzer pwm
Done with pwm setup
mfg: clean, 23/4096 files, 678/16368 blocks
Manufacturing partition is clean
phy[lan8710]: Disabling Auto-MDIX support
libphy: PHY 4a101000.mdio:01 not found
net eth0: phy 4a101000.mdio:01 not found on slave 1
Flash size: 1920991232
data: clean, 153/88176 files, 33672/352252 blocks
Data partition is clean
Current Timestamp: 20171015054306
kernel.panic = 3
kernel.panic_on_oops = 1
Starting ifplugd: eth0
Setting up 4G dongle support…
Setting up Hub Agent…
INIT: Entering runlevel: 5
Configuring network interfaces… done.
Initializing Dropbear SSH server: dropbear.
Starting syslogd/klogd: done
Starting crond: OK
Poky (Yocto Project Reference Distro) 2.1.2 LWL-3848 /dev/ttyO0
LWL-3848 login: irisagentd[566]: No agent debug configuration is present.
irisagentd[566]: Starting hub agent…
Login:

I have not gotta passed the password yet but it is a start.

@jamesleesaunders I know there has been a lot of interest in the Hass community to get Iris v1 devices working properly.
The v1 devices use the AlertMe protocol (which you have so graciously created a py wrapper for) and the v2 devices use ZHA protocol.

The v1 devices are much cheaper because they are “obsolete”.

My question to you is, what zigbee radio are you using to speak to the devices?
Will any serial zigbee radio work (e.g. HUSBZB-1)?

Have you put any thought into turning your code into a Hass component to sit alongside the existing Zigbee component (designed to let DIY XBee devices to talk to HA) or the ZHA component (designed to let ZHA/Iris v2 devices talk to HA) ?

Ah - this is promising! I’ll see if I can at least get to the same point on my spare one.

Just letting everyone know that I bought the Iris V2 from Lowes and tested it with HUSBZB-1 on Hassio v 0.60.0.

Zigbee: Works as expected. I can control the switch using Home Assistant. It shows up as “CentraLite 3210-L” switch.

Z-wave Repeater: It paired without any issues and appears to be repeating as expected.

In my opinion this is the best combo device for Zwave and Zigbee repeating. But it is clunky.

1 Like

I’d be willing to work on the V1 hub if anyone has one to send/sell me or point me to where I can get one.

If you’re in the USA I can probably get you a V1 hub if you are willing to contribute.

I think the Unofficial Iris Web Portal was broken by Iris during an update some time ago. It had shared an authentication cookie that no longer works.

Update: I tried it a little while ago and it seems to be working again. https://proxy.iriswebportal.com/ is the current URL.

When you paired as zwave did it show as a normal zwave device?

Mine show as

Unknown: id=0246 Unknown: type=0001, id=0001 (Node:124 Complete)

How can I tell if they are actually repeating zwave

I’ve read about 2 years worth of comments and attempts - does anyone actually made Iris Hub v2 working with HA?
Is my best bet to switch to a different Z provider like HUSBZB or Wink ?
thanks

1 Like

I dont know about the Iris Hub, but I do know about the HUSBZB being used to control Iris Zigbee devices like open close, motion, and switches. The HUSBZB works well for me with the iris branded products and it also works well for zwave. I would highly recommend it. Two controllers cheaper than many zwave controllers

New update. I can now get the SSH key from the hub. DOING THIS WILL WIPE THE HUB!

If you are connected to the hub with a arduino and hold in the reset and wait for 2 beeps you will see it make a SSH key I am trying to get the login to work but I have not had any luck.

So this topic will (hopefully) get a bit more popular now that Lowe’s has terminated the Iris project…a primary reason to avoid cloud-based solutions, of course.

@thegillion - can you confirm your work obtaining the SSH key was this on the V1 or V2 hub?

@ptdalen - Have you had success with the HUSBZB using any Iris V1 devices, or only V2 devices?
I know there has been a lot of progress in home assistant with ZHA and I have not tested this in some time. I’m sure a lot of Iris users looking to migrate would be interested.

Additionally, I’m curious to see how well Iris devices (especially older V1) connect to a Smart Things hub. This could be a good alternative for user forced to migrate now that it is supported as a component in 0.87. Of course, the local MQTT bridge would be best for local connectivity, but still likely the best option if the ST hub is able to communicate nicely with the devices.

Personally, I’ll likely decommission the last of my Iris devices and move on, but I do have a zigbee hose controller that waters some plants that I would love to be able to reuse somehow.

@automateit No the SSH key did not work. I dont know if you saw this or not but Iris is going open source http://arcussmarthome.com

I’ll believe it when I see it. . . Iris also claimed to want to have an “open api” and community development. Still, if anyone can make it happen it’s you @thegillion

btw - the site for Arcus incorrectly states that there is no app for home assistant…that’s not true. Definitely exists on iOS. I’m excited to see if Lowes stays faithful to the community and does make Iris open source. The interface and ease of use was very well done and there are a lot of folks who would love to be able to use their devices after March 31.

Has anyone looked at this since they released the source code?

1 Like

I have 2 of the ver. 2 hubs and can’t seem to pair them with the HUSBZB-1. I’m obviously doing something wrong because at least two people of the 35 conversations here got them to work as repeaters - that’s what I want to do.