Lutron Caseta - Pico Remotes stopped working - unusual pylutron_caseta.smartbridge error

This problem started 2-3 weeks ago. I have not found a similar post in the forums. The only thing that I normally changes is a weekly pull of updates to HA via the docker container homeassistant/home-assistant:stable. I’m using the internal Lutron Caseta integration.

I’m unable to use Pico Remote buttons attached to my Lutron Pro hub within HA. Other Lutron devices attached to this hub work just fine (wall switches controlling lights). The wall switches and the Pico remote buttons show up in the HA integration properly as “devices” (8 of them), but there are no “entities” associated with the Pico devices only the wall switch devices (only 3 of them).

As another symptom, I’m seeing an error in the home-assistant.log file that appears when I restart the integration:

ERROR (MainThread) [pylutron_caseta.smartbridge] Failed device status subscription: Response(Header=ResponseHeader(StatusCode=ResponseStatus(400, 'BadRequest'), Url='/button/101/status/event', MessageBodyType='ExceptionDetail'), CommuniqueType='ExceptionResponse', Body={'Message': 'This request is not supported'})

My HA system runs inside Docker in a Fedora-34 VM. Container= “homeassistant/home-assistant:stable”
The Hub is a Lutron Hub Pro2 (L-BDGPRO2)

I have the exact same problem after upgrading to 2022 release. Everything working fine before. Now button presses from Lutron Pico remotes no longer trigger automations. Same log error as above.

Well this is disturbing. Half my house runs on Picos! Knock on wood, I am on the latest version of HA and everything seems to be working ok for me. Have you submitted an issue? That’s probably a better way to get a dev to take a look at it.

Issue filed: https://github.com/home-assistant/core/issues/67208

And now: https://github.com/gurumitts/pylutron-caseta/issues/95

I can confirm that updating the Caseta Bridge to the latest firmware resolved the issue in my case.

I found the same thing. The hurdle I ran into was getting some sort of indication from the Bridge that it was unable to check if it needed a firmware update. I found no simple way in the app UI to determine if it was needed, nor even how to initiate it. I had to place the device on a public internet connection to allow it to upgrade. Obviously, some security filtering I have in place blocked it.

Hey all, I had problems getting a Pico Switch working with HA. To expand on @glenl’s post I put the Lutron Hub on an IoT network that has no access to anything on the network. After some digging I discovered that it tries to ping the router IP – my guess is to confirm it’s on the network – and the hub does not work well if pings do not succeed.

I added a rule to my firewall to allow it to ping the router.

I also gave it temporary access to the public internet in order to check if there were any firmware updates. Once I confirmed I am on the latest firmware I took away its access to the public internet.

Then, to make sure the Hub continued working allowing ping but not allowing public internet access, I power cycled the Hub. All is well with my Pico switch so far.

Hope this helps, thank you all.