Make a existing ESP Device visible in HA

Hi,
I did configure a ESP device under Arduino in past and it does what it should do. Now I enter the world of Hone Automation and detect the add in for ESP.

Pretty easily I can add a new device and configure it to make use inside HA of it, all clear, but what abut a existing ESP device, can I get this easily integrate as well, or do in need to import all code in the module and flash the device before getting it to interact with Home Assistant?

Basically I used Arduino so far as only here i got my Lido NodeMCUV3 to work, any try based on the ESPHome modul is not successfull, the device can not get into WiFi - even that works with an Arduino scetch perfectly. but this is not the classic WiFi problem and manul IP does not help either, I rather think that nodeMCUv3 is not fully supported with the add in in HomeAssistant. For the configuration my workaround is arduinoIDE, but Homeassistant bring the automation visualisation and logic which I do want to use, outside the node MCU

I hope I clarified precise enough my problem and intention.

Many Thanks for your help

Heiner

(Pi3B+, 16GB, Hassio Image)

It will not work unless you run ESPHome in it (the plugin is not for any ESP device, just ESPHome)
If you encounter connectivity issues working around those can be troublesome. this threads covers what we know so far.

You could integrate them via MQTT yourself, at least that’s what I did.

How to add existing Esphome nodes to new hassio instance?
I’ve got 5 nodes running and need to migrate my hass to a new Pi4 as I want to stop running Home Assistant from Docker on a NAS

1 Like

There seems to be no easy option for this, short of reprogramming via USB. A PITA really!

Place a new feature request on the ESPHome github: Allow to add existing Esphome nodes to a new Hassio instance for future OTA updates · Issue #541 · esphome/feature-requests · GitHub
Users interested can upvote this.

Did you try aading them in hass via configuration/integrations?

Yaml files are stored at /config/esphome/ so i used file editor instalable from addons and u just download your esphome yaml and upload them on new hassio instance to the same folder

2 Likes

You don’t need the yaml to add the device to ha.

to ha no (happens itself). But to be able update and change FW in the devices via ESPHome Home Assistant Add-On I had to do it this way…

1 Like

Yes of course but that wasn’t the question.

I think it WAS that question. I needed the same, having multiple ESPhome nodes working with HA, but searching for a way to import them into the ESPhome extension. I simply put all of the YAML’s into the /config/esphome folder and voila!