Manipulate last position registered by the smartphone

Hello everybody,

I am a happy HA user, trying to take a little bit more control over the last position registered by my Android smartphone, for people tracking in my HA instance.

My tracking setup is composed of 2 entities:

• A ping-based presence detection sensor in HA;
  • A GPS-based presence detection sensor from my smartphone.

I do not always keep the GPS sensor on my device, therefore it tracks my position outside the house occasionally. Suddenly, I realized that in HA, when I am outside the house with the GPS off, what is shown is the last position registered by the phone.

I tried to get around the problem, with an automation aimed at substituting the shown position in HA with “away” if the GPS is off. The logic is the following:

• If the ping presence detection moves from away to home → set the position on my smartphone to “home” using the service “device.see”;
  • If the ping presence detection moves from home to away → set the position on my smartphone to “away” using the service “device.see”;

I nevertheless discovered that the service “device.see” does not work, as I cannot change the last position registered on the HA app on my app.

How can I obtain the target behavior?

Thank you everybody in advance for your support :slight_smile:

For me at least, pings don’t work when my iPhone goes into low power mode. Are the pings reliable for you?

For me, the ping integration works well.

Nevertheless, I was interested in having more control over positions tracked by the smartphone.