Massive packet losses from Home Assistant VM SOLVED: Bug in Mikrotik devices firmware 7.15.x (solution included)

Hi,

I’m running HA inside a VirtualBox VM on a Windows Server.
Since yesterday, I get massive packet losses when pinging my router. See below.
Pinging any other device in the network or pinging the router from any other device works perfectly.
Event from the server hosting the VM. 0% loss.

As a result, the HA UI is barely working. Any ideas?
VirtualBox is v7.0.18

It helped for a while when I restarted the router, but starts loosing packages again after a short time.

PING 192.168.0.1 (192.168.0.1): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 192.168.0.1: seq=6 ttl=63 time=0.428 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.0.1: seq=16 ttl=63 time=0.531 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.0.1: seq=28 ttl=63 time=0.942 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.0.1: seq=29 ttl=63 time=0.947 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.0.1: seq=47 ttl=63 time=0.978 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.0.1: seq=48 ttl=63 time=0.478 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.0.1: seq=53 ttl=63 time=1.149 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.0.1: seq=72 ttl=63 time=0.507 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.0.1: seq=96 ttl=63 time=1.100 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.0.1: seq=106 ttl=63 time=0.508 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.0.1: seq=118 ttl=63 time=0.569 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.0.1: seq=128 ttl=63 time=0.564 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.0.1: seq=155 ttl=63 time=1.099 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.0.1: seq=156 ttl=63 time=0.570 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.0.1: seq=166 ttl=63 time=0.576 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.0.1: seq=185 ttl=63 time=0.607 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.0.1: seq=190 ttl=63 time=0.427 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.0.1: seq=191 ttl=63 time=0.542 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.0.1: seq=200 ttl=63 time=0.565 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.0.1: seq=201 ttl=63 time=0.714 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.0.1: seq=222 ttl=63 time=0.452 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.0.1: seq=223 ttl=63 time=0.405 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.0.1: seq=233 ttl=63 time=0.899 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.0.1: seq=248 ttl=63 time=0.573 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.0.1: seq=249 ttl=63 time=1.027 ms
^C
--- 192.168.0.1 ping statistics ---
255 packets transmitted, 25 packets received, 90% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max = 0.405/0.686/1.149 ms

Hi, VirtualBox is known in the HA community to cause issues - have seen quite some topics about it.
There seem to be better results with VMware.

Problem solved!
It wasn’t HA at all, but a bug in the current firmware for Mikrotik Routers and Switches. It affects all Linux devices…

In case, someone else has this problem: the RSTP Bridge protocol in firmware 7.15.x is broken.
In Winbox: Bridge->Properties->STP->Protocol: none

Hope that helps someone…

Good you found the cause and got it solved!

Please take the time to mark the solution as the answer, you do that by selecting the three dots under the post:

image

Then select the check box:

image
By doing so this can be useful to other users as well and prevents that someone else steps in and still tries to help you.

I’ve tried, but I don’t have that checkbox…
image

Ok, that was because you didn’t assign a category to your issue.
Now it should be available.

thank you, next time I’ll do better :slight_smile:

1 Like