Memory leak in 2021.7

Since updating to 2021.7 my PI 3 / HASS IO is quite unstable and it used to be very stable for the past months.

The only thing I can see is memory slowly coming up to 87% when the system became unresponsive and restarts itself after few or more minutes.
Minimal number of addons too, all up to date.

Anyone experiencing the same thing? Any hints on what can I do to try to pinpoint the leak or instability?

Thanks!

Start by disabling your custom integrations (not addons).

If that fixes it, put them back one by one (testing in-between) until you discover the culprit.

Good point. I have 3 integrations but those did not changed for some months… I’ll review them.

I have the same experience, I also have the MariaDB, File Editor and Terminal and SSH addons active. And a number of custom integrations. But not able to pinpoint at the moment because I am not at home.

I’m having the same problem but I’m using a Pi 4 4GB in Docker on Ubuntu 21.04. When I look a htop I can tell it’s coming from Home Assistant specifically. Rebooting lower it but over a day it just creeps back up. Im only using one custom integration and I’ve tried disabling it but it stop the memory leak.

1 Like

Hi all,

I have run several tries and the one that could get me over the 2 days stability issues was running the recorder running with sql in memory (which of course has the disadvantage of all stats being gone at restart).

The following stabilized my environment

• uninstalled Maria DB and let system run with default db
  • added scan_interval: 180 to platform: systemmonitor to reduce the number of database inserts related to the health of the system (default is 15 seconds so bumped up to 180 s)
  • change purge_keep_days: 7 (I could not even run with 2 in MariaDB)

System is quick and stable and the sql db is at 25Mb after 2 days.

Maybe is the MariaDB integration that de-stabilized my system or the recorder link with MariaDB.

I will post my status at the end of this week after the purge kept the database to 7 days of events.

Hope that helps.
memory and CPU for the past 24 h with 2 days uptime

system just rebooted itself.
I can see in the log
The system could not validate that the sqlite3 database at //config/home-assistant_v2.db was shutdown cleanly

Memory is down to 49% from the maximum recorded on 88.8 %…

Not sure what to do anymore…

Do you use the Ring integration?

yes I do have Ring integration!

This is the timestamp when it crashed.

21-07-26 14:19:08

21-07-26 14:17:38 INFO (MainThread) [supervisor.resolution.fixup] Starting system autofix at state CoreState.RUNNING
21-07-26 14:17:38 INFO (MainThread) [supervisor.resolution.fixup] System autofix complete
21-07-26 14:18:32 INFO (MainThread) [supervisor.updater] Fetching update data from https://version.home-assistant.io/stable.json
21-07-26 14:19:08 WARNING (MainThread) [supervisor.misc.tasks] Watchdog miss API response from Home Assistant
21-07-26 14:19:21 INFO (MainThread) [supervisor.resolution.evaluate] Starting system evaluation with state CoreState.RUNNING
21-07-26 14:19:21 INFO (MainThread) [supervisor.resolution.evaluate] System evaluation complete

Memory leak in 2017.7 2021.7

disabled ring integration and rebooted system and will wait and report…

Thanks for pointing that out. Fixed.

1 Like

do you mean was the ring integration fixed?

Ha. No, Taras just pointed out that your title and first post text had the wrong version number (2017.7 instead of 2021.7). I fixed it for you.

oh I see, yes thanks for that.

memory utilization is very good and stable since disabling the ring integration and reboot .

yes, memory is very stable and flat with no Ring integration…

1 Like

In that case it might be related to this issue Ring Memory Leak/OOM issue · Issue #53506 · home-assistant/core · GitHub

I also have the Ring integration active, so disabled it for now and see how it behaves.

it is stable without ring integration, watching the ticket on github but not much activity on it. Issue persists in latest 2021.8.1.

Maybe is related with latest change to reduce the video URL TTL from 45 min to 3 min.