Migrating Home-Assisstant Docker to Home-Assistant OS

Hey there!

Right now I am running HASS in a docker container. I like it a lot and am tracking my Solar Installation and so on.

But I am missing the Add Ons… especially the one for the backup into the cloud. (I am really scared to loose all of my data and work I put into it).

When I set up Home Assistant on the new Pi - can I somehow just import my backup I created in the Home-Assitante Docker Web view into the new one?

Thank you very much for your help :slight_smile:

Yep - do a full backup and then when you onboard with the Pi - give it the backup :slight_smile:

You will need to put the backup onto the SD/SSD of course - one option is to onboard, enable samba, then drop the backup off and import it. Make sure your current version isn’t too far behind version wise.

2 Likes

Nice!

Is the “full” backup the one I do in Homeassisstant under Settings → Backup? (and then download backup of course).

Especially the connetion to my Huawei PV System took me very long to set up via the HACS Plugin - is this saved as well?

Sorry just saw the you updated your answer:
“You will need to put the backup onto the SD/SSD of course - one option is to onboard, enable samba, then drop the backup off and import it. Make sure your current version isn’t too far behind version wise.”

You mean to put the backup onto the new system? I tried to find a guide how this is exactly done - but didnt find one

1 Like

When you first load Home Assistant on the rPi it gives you the option to upload a backup there, you shouldn’t have to pre-load it on the SSD. Just be prepared to wait a bit if your backup file is large.

2 Likes

Perfect thank you!

1 Like

If you want to stick with docker, perhaps try duplicati. Here is the docker compose…

duplicati:
  container_name: duplicati
  image: ghcr.io/linuxserver/duplicati
  ports:
    - 8200:8200
  environment:
    - TZ=Europe/London
  volumes:
    - ./duplicati:/config
    - ./homeassistant:/source        # folder to back up
  restart: unless-stopped
1 Like

Man am I blind, I didn’t even register that in my brain!

we’ve all been there :sob:

So Bad ^^?